• Register
  • Help

Topic: For Russ, away form the movie standard.

For Russ, away form the movie standard.

Hi guys and dolls,
    I opened my big mouth in an other thread. So here is a piece that I wrote that was not geared towards film.

I have only been a Giga user since January of this year and this is the third piece I wrote using it. At the time I only had Ao and giga piano. The piece is pretty simplistic especialy the piano, but hey, this was a practice piece for giga. I put more thought into sound than form but I think it still came out fairly descent.

I really apreciate all the help I have gotten out of this forum. Thanks guys. Your collective knowledge is far better than any structured class.

Ok so I\'m off to finish a couple of other pieces , that are more current , for posting.

I hope my piece didn\'t put you to sleep [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    (Although it is nice to nap to. I\'ve done it before myself. LOL)

Re: For Russ, away form the movie standard.

Hey 88,

I really like how the melody isn\'t so much supposed to be memorable, but functions as one unit with the piano and other harmony (reminds me of Koichi Sugiyama). However, I would have liked to have seen just a little more variation aside from the melody just repeating and adding an instrument, or handing it off to say the piano/doubling with the strings.

Encoding it in a little higher bi-rate wouldn\'t hurt either [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

In response to your comment.... Most of the work I do involves paper orchestrations, thus I almost never have time work on my own works. However, if you want I\'ll try to record a piece and find somewhere to host it -- it\'s your call.

A bit \"Simple\" for me,
    But i like it,
    Keep on.

Nice piece 88Fingers (have you really go that many fingers) [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I like the composition and the way the piano and flute work together. Nice modulation around the 0:55 mark.

If I have a criticism it is that, like the others I think the repetition is a bit too much. You might try to drop an instrument, change the piano pattern. Also, the melody is nearly always playing at the same dynamic level (not talking about velocity here) - it could do with a some light and shade, i.e adding some volume curves to give it a more human feel.

Other than that, good work fella!

Hi Russ,
    Thanks for the response. I have felt that this piece could go much further, but I didn\'t know how. I was going to wait until I got my studio logic Sl-990 key board so I could do a live recording and spruce up the piano part. Unfortunately work has been very sparse and I spent all my saved up money on sound libraries. Ooops. LOL. Your comments have really sparked inspiration to improve this piece. Thanks.

I understand that your works are mostly on paper. That is how I did it for the last 16 years till I finally got a computer. Now I\'m becoming a junky to bang my head against the sampling wall trying to create virtual players to perform my works. AHHHHH! It all seems in vane. Good thing you haven\'t fallen into this same trap.
    I wish I knew a slew of players to perform my works. Ahh, I can just see it, my own private orchestra. hehehe.

If you should have a piece you would like to share I would gladly put it up on my site for a spell. No problem sharing with a fellow Northern forum\'r. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Just let me know. You can E-mail me at

Hi Rudi,
    Yes, and fortunately I had the other 56 of them amputated when I was nine. I was nine when I started playing the piano and realized I didn\'t need all 144 fingers. LOL
    Thank you for your comments. Like Russ, those are some great suggestions. I will try and use them. You both have inspired me. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

HI D.Montesinos
    Thank you. I am glad you like it.
    Coming from a composer of your ability that means allot to me.

Thanks for your responses,
    Pete Casti.

Hi Pete,

Very niece piece. I like the main theme, and then especially the part when the flute enters and starts with the flutter tonguing and everything gets more agitated. I actually think you might have used this as the coda to your piece.

Anyway, I like it very much. Could I ask from which libraries do the sound come from?

Thank you Martin.
    The library I used was Advanced orchestra and giga piano. I really like the way the oboe came out. I used allot of key switching for expresion.
    Thanks to Chris Sivak (a.k.a Tumababa) who suggested that I buy this library to start with. Good advice.

I have never been happy about the strings in this piece though.
    That should change as I plan on reworking the entire piece and probably change to SISS strings.

Thanks again for replying Martin. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Pete Casti.

Go Back to forum