• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: A Little Night Music

Share/Bookmark

A Little Night Music

Hi All,

The Greater Cleveland Flute Society has also selected my piece to be performed at there Cleveland Connection Concert this spring (April 17). I thought I'd too, share it with this forum. It is for solo flute with piano accompaniment. It was written for a friend who is a camp counselor at a summer music camp. He always lpays some quiet piece at night after the kids have had lights out. This piece was conceived as a solo flute work but I added the piano for the Flute Society.

It is called appropriately:

A Little Night Music

Sorry, Mozart!

Best regards,
    Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Re: A Little Night Music

Quote Originally Posted by wrayer View Post
    Hi All,

The Greater Cleveland Flute Society has also selected my piece to be performed at there Cleveland Connection Concert this spring (April 17). I thought I'd too, share it with this forum. It is for solo flute with piano accompaniment. It was written for a friend who is a camp counselor at a summer music camp. He always lpays some quiet piece at night after the kids have had lights out. This piece was conceived as a solo flute work but I added the piano for the Flute Society.

It is called appropriately:

A Little Night Music

Sorry, Mozart!

Best regards,
    Bill
    Mozart would have liked this, I am sure. Bill, in another thread we are discussing which instruments/sample libs we find better sounding than others. My choice was that Garritan flutes (woodwinds) are the better deal. I'd wished some flute solo to demonstrate this in comparison to EWQL flutes. Can you send me that flute MIDI or make it available for download. Then with SONAR I can do that comparison, ARIA versus PLAY.

Or better, the score to find out which articulations you used.

Raymond

Hi Bill,

You did a very nice job producing another flute marvel. And the recording is so very natural, that I'm in doubt whether it's a live recording or a computer rendering. Even the ambience sounds so very 'audition room-like'.
    The piece threw me back some 40 years when I had to play a similar (and it sounds so familiar) piece for my flute exam. Pleasant memories... A little nightmare music, certainly not!

My sincere congratulations!

Max

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    Mozart would have liked this, I am sure. Bill, in another thread we are discussing which instruments/sample libs we find better sounding than others. My choice was that Garritan flutes (woodwinds) are the better deal. I'd wished some flute solo to demonstrate this in comparison to EWQL flutes. Can you send me that flute MIDI or make it available for download. Then with SONAR I can do that comparison, ARIA versus PLAY.

Or better, the score to find out which articulations you used.

Raymond

Hi Raymond, If you promise not to steal my ideas I certainly will send you the score. Message me with your email and I will send it off right away. I am using Finale 2011. If that is not compatible, I can send it as an XLM file.

Best regards,
    Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    Hi Bill,

You did a very nice job producing another flute marvel. And the recording is so very natural, that I'm in doubt whether it's a live recording or a computer rendering. Even the ambience sounds so very 'audition room-like'.
    The piece threw me back some 40 years when I had to play a similar (and it sounds so familiar) piece for my flute exam. Pleasant memories... A little nightmare music, certainly not!

My sincere congratulations!

Max
    Thanks Max. If your chops are up to it, I can send you a copy to play along with.

If I may ask, what was the piece you played that reminded you of this piece.

Best regards,
    Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    So you and Rich are now The Flutes Brothers! - Get it--Blues Brothers, Flutes Brothers.

Congrats on the upcoming concert!

Randy
    Ah, a bit joviality is always good. I think the Flute society likes the idea of showing off the twin musicians. Like the Smother Brothers mom always liked him better!

Best regards,
    Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Quote Originally Posted by wrayer View Post
    Thanks Max. If your chops are up to it, I can send you a copy to play along with.

If I may ask, what was the piece you played that reminded you of this piece.

Best regards,
    Bill
    With all the best will of the world, I couldn't possibly remember the title. The only thing I recall is that it was an eastern tone scale, opening with a retrospective section in the lowest register and then moving upwards in a sort of arpeggios to a more agitating melody in the mid and high ranges. It was written by a Dutch composer... But as I said, it was 40 years ago, and I don't remember the colour of my shoes and my shirt either... The main theme sounded so familiar, that's why I had to think back to these early times of musical practice. (And maybe we're coming back to the statement: "All music has been written, the difference is in the nuances and approach".

And I would be pleased to see the score!

Max

Wow, Bill. This piece is such a wonderful flute showcase. And I agree with Max that the rendition is incredibly real.

Art
    Arthur J. Michaels
    https://www.facebook.com/composerarthurjmichaels

Finale 2000 through Finales 25.4 (currently using Finale 25.4)
    Garritan COMB2, GPO4, GPO5, Audacity 2.1.3
    Core i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home Premium x64
    Dell 2408 WFP, 1920x1200
    M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496
    M-Audio AV-40 monitors

Thanks Art. It was a fun piece to create.

Best regards,
    Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast