• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: studio 3B

studio 3B

I did some experimenting with background horns on this. I was very much surprised to hear how well GPO's French horns blended with a basic jazz quartet. I used 5 different instances of the f horn and applied jazz harmonies on them. Whether this song is good or not so good will certainly be subjective, but I think that the way the instruments blended is a very warm sound, at least to me.
    I also used JABB flute and E. Piano.l
    Please give a listen. Jay

Re: studio 3B

It is very warm and I really like the sound. Mixing is excellent. Is this an original by you? It is a warm and inviting piece. It certainl makes the cold and blustery day we are currently having a lot more pleasant.

I don't really hear the horns. I would gather you are using them to color and add warmth to the background music. Ah, there they are. I guess my ears are finally thawing I can now hear the sound of the horns.

Nice rendition Jay!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Hey Rich! I used to live in michigan, so I know how nasty the weather can get in that area. This is an original piece of mine. I started off using JABB horns but it did not quite work for me in this. I tried the f horns from GPO and it seemed to set the right mood for my ears. I am glad that you liked this and thanks for commenting. Jay

Great piece. The horns work really well and I love the ensemble. Is there a muted guitar I am hearing. If so is it a sample or is someone playing.

Nice piece, Jay! About a third of the way into this, I found myself swaying back and forth in my chair. Nice mood! And nice chords. At first, the bass sounded a bit heavy to me--maybe not. Heavy or not, I really like the way you got the bass to be clear and NOT boomy. That was refreshing.

5 horns? That's unique. How about a rescore with 2 trombones, 2 horns, and fluegelhorn?

I like this a lot.

Arthur J. Michaels

Finale 2000 through 2014.5 (currently using 2014.5)
    Garritan COMB2, GPO4, GPO5, Audacity 2.1.2
    Core i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home Premium x64
    Dell 2408 WFP, 1920x1200
    M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496
    M-Audio AV-40 monitors

Richard! I am glad that you liked this. You are right about the muted guitar. I just used the general midi muted guitar for this. I thought that it added a little more definition to the percussion.

Art! Thanks for the listen. I used TRILIAN fretless bass on this. It usually works pretty well for me. I originally scored this using flugal horn, alto, tenor, trombone and tuba. That configuration worked out okay but I wanted to see if I could get a warmer sound, hence the french horns.

Thank you both for the listen and comments. Jay

Hi Jay,

Lovely piece, nice and rich jazz harmony, swinging as usual... A very enjoyable listening piece!

As to the french horns, they sound nice, soft but to my taste a little too "woolly", like cotton wool in the background. I would love them a little more present and distinct. But that's only my opinion. De gustibus et coloribus non disputatur... (No arguing about tastes and colours.)

Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed the piece!

Hey Max! Thanks for listening. When I first brought in the french horns, I used E.Q. on them to make them a little brighter. That just did not quite work right for me. I spent some time on the horn voicings and was tempted to bring them more up front so the harmonies could be better heard but I resisted and decided to go with the understated sound that is in this version. You know what they say on the island of Corli Corli: "skooby doo ala fonty monty", which translates, "not everyone likes a chicago chili dog!
    Thanks for listening and commenting. Jay

Hello Jay -

I believe that this might be one of the first pieces that I heard by you. LOVE the music! It brought back a lot of nice memories of living in Boston during my music-college days (30+ years ago), jamming with friends with my Rhodes electric piano. I really enjoyed the style of the jazz found in this piece. Also, the rendering was top notch to my very modest ears.

Curious. . . Any story behind the title, "Studio 3B"??

Looking forward to hearing more of your works as you share them.

Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Ted! Thanks for listening and I am pleased that you liked this. I have always had a fondness for the Rhodes piano and I use the sound often. There is no particular meaning to the name "Studio 3b". For whatever reason, it just seemed appropriate.
    Thanks. Jay

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast