• Register
  • Help

Topic: I Just Spent $200 on a Audio Interface! What In the World Does it do?!?

Share/Bookmark

I Just Spent $200 on a Audio Interface! What In the World Does it do?!?

I just purchased Focusrite's Scarlet 2i4 because I keep hearing and reading from people that I need one. OK, I got one, now what do I do with it? My computer speakers can not handle the sound of GPO4 and especially not IO. They crack and distort. I wanted to use headphones with the audio interface so it would have great sound and no cracking. Also I wanted to use Finale with it so the sound comes out of it. I am NOT a tech. person and I need major help. Thanks guys!
    ~Rodney

Re: I Just Spent $200 on a Audio Interface! What In the World Does it do?!?

Quote Originally Posted by composingatnight View Post
    I just purchased Focusrite's Scarlet 2i4 because I keep hearing and reading from people that I need one. OK, I got one, now what do I do with it? My computer speakers can not handle the sound of GPO4 and especially not IO. They crack and distort. I wanted to use headphones with the audio interface so it would have great sound and no cracking. Also I wanted to use Finale with it so the sound comes out of it. I am NOT a tech. person and I need major help. Thanks guys!
    ~Rodney
    Hi Rodney,

Congratulations on your purchase, Focusrite makes superb hardware and preamps. It will also allow you to achieve lower latency playback with your audio software including projects using Garritan Instruments.

- Make sure you install the software drivers that came with the device
    - Read the User Guide and Quick Start Guide, even a couple times if that helps - http://us.focusrite.com/downloads
    - If you experience cracking most likely your audio buffer size is too small, try a larger audio buffer size around 512 samples. Your latency buffer size can be adjusted within your DAW. Or within ARIA Player | Preferences menu if you are using the ARIA Player in Standalone.

Good luck and have fun!
    Chad

It came with Ableton Live 8. Is that a good DAW?

~Rodney
    Mine just sits around collecting dust most of the time unless I do some audio recording. I usually just use my iMacs audio out with my headphones and use my monitors for checking the final mix.

I think that you got lite 8 and not Live 8. It's probably a scaled down demo version of Live 8 which costs $400.

I wouldn't really recommend it for composing but some people do use it with great results but they probably were originally going to use it for pop music, DJ and the like.

Phil

HA! The title of your thread cracked me up, Rodney. - Surprised you weren't already using an interface - ! I honestly have no idea how anybody is doing any kind of serious work without one. You've been using your computer's sound card and little mini-plug input for headphones? No ASIO - Oh man - you're ready for some serious work now. There really isn't that much to learn.

Chad's given you the goods on your crackling being due to too small a buffer, and by pushing you in the direction of the Focusrite user guide.

If nothing else, you'll instantly love having hardware sitting there next to your keyboard, with instantly available volume control knobs - for speaker playback, and another for headphones. You'll wonder how you ever lived without those.

The main attraction could be the audio recording capabilities, and that's something you won't be using so much - But, nice to have if you want to do good recordings of anything analog, a singer, a live musician or two.

With the MIDI In and Out, you could tie in outboard hardware samplers and synths - um--in case you go really mad. hehe.

The main concept is that the Focusrite is now your sound card. It replaces your computer's soundcard, which is most likely not all that great. Even on high ticket, good computers, the soundcard isn't so hot. You've instantly upped your sonic capability hugely. You're going to be using ASIO drivers which are the only way to get the smoothest, most power packed music playback, and with super low latency - Something important if you ever play keyboard.

My advice is to go into your device manager and disable your motherboard card so that everything comes through your interface. You want to hear Finale, as you said - Everything should be through your interface now. That's the way I've run things for years - works great.

I'm excited for you - can you tell?

Ableton Live 8 - the lite version. Don't even go there. It's for loopers, phrase players. Some people squeeze music out of it - But it really isn't DAW software you want to delve into.

Randy

Thank you for all the help guys and all the information. I downloaded the needed software and removed that "DAW" off my computer. It is working now. In the future I will be getting monitor speakers but for now I will be using mostly headphones. Do you think I should get a headphone amp or not? Or do you have another option?
    ~Rodney
    BTW Randy, thank you for the excitement, I am excited also. I guess I am a mad man because I use the midi almost everyday with my digital piano. Thanks for the info!

Thank you for all the help guys and all the information...In the future I will be getting monitor speakers but for now I will be using mostly headphones. Do you think I should get a headphone amp or not? Or do you have another option?...
    Hey, Rod - You don't need a headphone amp - That's one thing your new interface is doing for you!

Randy

Go Back to forum