• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: My 2nd compostition

My 2nd compostition

OK, here\'s my second composition.

I really appreciate any thoughts from anyone at all. Composers and people not involved in writing music are equally apreciated. I know all you guys must be real busy, but it would be amazing if you could drop an ear, and offer your sound advice.

I have been trying to implement form as explained by Alan Belkin in his free books, but I am currently unable to take that step back from looking at all the details of a piece, and trying to get a feel for what that golden \"first listen\" will be like for someone else. I guess that kind of perspective comes with time. So, this is kind of impressionistic and not \"formal\".

I wrote the theme that permeates the piece at home on the keyboard, and made sketches and notes for all the orchestration, based on what Mr. Rimsky Korsakov has to say on this topic (a lot!). Then I went into a studio of the local film school to \"perform\" it (rented two 6-hour nights for 130 bucks). I used SAM free trumpets and tympani, Mikes free trombones, G-town (cybals and a bit of Bass drum) lots of free sound-font percussion, and the libraries they have at the facility: Miroslav solo instruments 1 and 2, and Advanced Orchestra. And there was a proteus with orchestral sounds too. I can\'t wait till I have my room kitted up! I\'m either going to get VSL or QLSO soooooooon [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] !!!!

Thanks Tob, Mike and project SAM for the free samples, and thanks to the film school for giving me a student rate even though I\'m not a student [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: My 2nd compostition

Hi Leon,

Nice work, very impressionistic. Nice work on the orchestration. There is something about the sound that\'s flat and lacks depth. Perhaps those listening on better systems can explain better.

Overall the composition is nice, but it sounds like an introduction. So what comes after this?

Steve Chandler

Myrtle Beach, SC (USA)

Hello Leon, very impressive demo. I think you\'ve done a nice job, especially with the dynamics of this piece. Hope to hear more from you soon! You\'re sounding good, Gary [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Very nice to listen to. This really gives the idea the difference between a sampling performance and a real orchestra performance isn\'t so big anymore.

Holy cow!! Thanks guys [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Those kind words have made my day. I\'m frequently very depressed about my compositions, and having someone other than my girlfriend say they like it (girlfriends will say anything to cheer us up--girlfriend praise don\'t count! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ) is really nice.

I didn\'t post looking for praise, though . It would be really useful (since I have spent so much time writing that, and completely lost any kind perspective), if people could point out specific things that bug them about the piece. So I can watch out in the future [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Brutal (constructive) honesty, please!

Steve: \"There is something about the sound that\'s flat and lacks depth. \" --- Tell me about it! I pulled my hair out for the whole second day trying to mix that. Any pointers from people with good monitors would be really nice. I\'m afraid this particular demo is set in stone, though--I can\'t go back and tweak it. It must be so great to have enough equipment at home to do this stuff! I\'m still waiting for my soundcard, and I\'m holding on until QLSO comes out to make the humungous decision (VSL or QLSO).

\"sounds like an introduction. So what comes after this?\" ----> [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] no idea, man! honestly, form has got to be the hardest thing about music, right? I am now writing a new piece, and I\'m going to try and make it my first piece with a true exposition, development, and reprise. I\'ll post it when I\'m done. (Don\'t hold your breath! composing is incredibly slow for me now... I go through so many options before I like something.)

Sharmy: A guy called Mike posted recently offering free tenor trombone section samples, hence Mike\'s trombones. Tob is hosting the samples somewhere on his Gtown site, I think. I don\'t have the link, I\'m afraid.

I personally think this composition is awesome!

I agree with several of the things aid so far. My fav thing here is dynamics, and it´s a hard thing to get well as I know myself.
    I also think it soudns like something was coming after the \"end\"...first time I thought I had not finished the download!

As for buggin´ things without any doubts I will say the trumpets from 0:58 to 1:13. The worst thing is that the musical idea for them seems interesting, but somehow it doesn´t work in the mix. Maybe I´m going to babble silly things, but it´s almost like if they were half-concealing their play which seems to be against the very nature of trumpets...or maybe against this specific rendition of the trumpets here. I bet a similar line on a different instrument could have worked slightly better...just my humble opinion.

But there was some impressing stuff. I specially liked the use of winds, mainly because your composition shows how bad my writing for winds cutrrently is. =P

...I loved the dynamics too

see? now your words have weight [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

-david abraham

Very nice work, Leon. To get more depth and color, you might try some mastering tools. And yes, you can use them after the fact. All you need is a computer, the plug in, and a host to run it (i.e. Sonic Foundry Sound Forge and Izotope Ozone plug in).

-- Martin

Just to give you an idea of what you can do with post processing, I did a quick update on your mp3 file with Izotope Ozone. It made a big difference. I think it sounds better, and it would be even better if done on the original wav file.

You can download it at http://www.cdsol.com/cdsol/downloads/willett2.mp3

It really is a very nice composition.

-- Martin

Go Back to forum