• Register
  • Help

Topic: PMI Bosendorfer For Kontakt - how many velocity layers?

Share/Bookmark

Re: PMI Bosendorfer For Kontakt - how many velocity layers?

They both have 16 layer patches. In fact they share identical patches.

Does anyone know if there is a crossgrade option from the Giga to the Kontakt format?

PMI Bosendorfer For Kontakt - how many velocity layers?

Hi

I\'ve ordered the Bosendorfer in Kontakt format, but I\'ve just read a post which implied that Kontakt can only play up to eight velocity layers. Is that right, and if so does that mean I\'ll lose eight out of sixteen on the PMI?

If this is the case, I might be better off changing the order (and quick!) and getting the VST plug-in instead.

Thanks
    Heath

Thanks Michiel. I wondered because of the below quote from a Kirk Hunter thread. He\'s referring specifically to his free Giga violin:

\"Note that some of these instruments are 16 velocity layers deep, so they won\'t convert load into Kontakt...(Kontakt only loads as many as 8 velocity layers, or so it seems) However, there are also instruments that only have 8 velocity layers as well.\"

I\'ve not heard about this Kontakt limitation before. Perhaps he means that there\'s a limit when importing Giga samples. It\'s curious all the same.

Well, there is no such limitation upon import in Kontakt. If a Gig file has 16 layers, Kontakt will import them and create 16 layers. I don\'t know what he is referring to but I certainly imported my 16 layer pianos without any problems.

heres more than 16 velocity layers, but not sure if it matters that it was converted from a .kit file

http://server3.uploadit.org/files/111103-16-32--vel-layers.jpg

Go Back to forum