• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Some questions for the pros...

Share/Bookmark

Some questions for the pros...

This is a little OT but I figure I will get 10x\'s the feedback by posting it here.
    Ok I am looking to buy 2 pieces of decent midi hardware at a low cost (around $400-500)

1) A good midi controller, with velocity sensitivity and weighted action.
    2) a Drum pad with velocity sensitivity. I would figure that the norm would be the harder you hit it the louder it would sound but I have no idea. As it might just register the hit.

I will be checking prices in the mean time, but would love feedback

P.S The drum pad/kit will be really only for orchestral work (timpani, snare drums, bass drum etc)and I don\'t require a full setup.

Thanks in advance

Re: Some questions for the pros...

Could I also ask whats a similar but cheaper controller - and weighted - like the Triton Pro?

The sounds inside dont matter though.

Ed

For the percussion controller, I\'ve got a KAT DK-10 pad - it\'s got like 8 pads that you can assign to any key. It\'s also got kick drum and hi hat inputs, and the sensitivity is adjustable. You can find them for really cheap - like $75 - if you look or try ebay. For the price it does the job - I\'m sure there are better, although more expensive options, but this one\'s pretty cool.

Thanks for the info Jeff, 8 pads are good for what I need. Only reason I am looking for a percussion controller is because it is much easier to beat out a good rhythm then to spend double the time in a sequencer micro-editing etc.

I am in the same pool as far as not needing sound rom modules in the keyboard, as I will be using gigs instead.

Ok what do you guys think of these (in other words what one would you go for?):

Yamaha DD55 Digital Drum Kit
    Yamaha DD35 Lighted Drums with Power Supply and Headphones
    Casio LD80 Digital Drum Pads with Lighting Guide System

Thanks in advance

try AKAI MPD-16....the 16 velocity split is sweet.

There seems to be a void in the midi world, unless I just havn\'t found it yet. Why not a percussion controller without any on board sounds? Just a midi controller with plenty of assignable pads ? Surely there is one out there?

Ed - if you want a cheap midi controller, weighted with 88 keys, try they Yamaha S08... Its got the same keyboard as the Motif 8/Yamaha S90, mod wheel and pitch bend wheel... The sounds on it are ok for some but that\'s no major concern anyway... It retails for about 50% the price of the Yamaha S90 (here in Australia anyway!)... If you need more, you can always buy a Control Freak or something to give you more knobs/faders...

Sorry, no experience with drum pads... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

meeehoon

Originally posted by Munsie:
    There seems to be a void in the midi world, unless I just havn\'t found it yet. Why not a percussion controller without any on board sounds? Just a midi controller with plenty of assignable pads ? Surely there is one out there?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I have no idea if they\'re still in business, but all of the DrumKAT stuff was exactly that. The smaller pad had like 10 zones, and a bigger pad had maybe 20? zones, all with very nice accurate velocity sensitivity, plus inputs for foot pedals and additional triggers.

Don\'t forget Fatar for weighted keyboard controllers. No bells or whistles, not even decent patch change, but they play just fine for a bargain board. Find one used on eBay if the price is too high.

Dasher

Go Back to forum