• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: How do you listen?

Share/Bookmark

How do you listen?

I'm wondering what kind of sound system people use to listen to the music on the forum? Computer speakers? Headphones? Studio monitors? I plan to use this feedback to improve my mixing skills. thanks!

Re: How do you listen?

I use headphones connected to my monitor which is connected via HDMI to the sound card. I also have a pair of Bose speakers I use occasionally... I say, keep it simple, keep it clean.

Quote Originally Posted by michael diemer View Post

I'm wondering what kind of sound system people use to listen to the music on the forum?...
    I only use headphones when disturbing other people is an issue, otherwise I use my studio speakers which are quite humble. I bought them years ago, they're not made anymore, but at the time, Keyboard magazine pointed them out as remarkably good for small studio monitoring. They're hooked up to my amplifier, also very old but works great. I use an Alesis audio interface, and the lines out are going into the amplifier which in turn pipes them out to the speakers.

That's the system I use for listening to music here at the Forum, for hearing audio at YouTube, for playing MP3s or CDs, and for when I'm working on my own music.

Don't even consider computer speakers.

Also, you need an audio interface. The market is flooded with units which all do pretty much the same thing, under $200. You don't want to use your computer's sound card. You want a nice audio interface with real inputs that uses ASIO drivers, and all of the units are like that. Your home recording experience will be umpteen times more satisfying.

Randy

I use AKG K271 headphones going directly into my iMac.

Phil

Studio: AKG K271 plugged into EMu1616M PCIe.
    In the living room: Rotel RCX-1500 and Elipson Speakers.

Both with 2 ears

Raymond

At the PC, either with a pair of Sennheiser HD600 headphones or with a pair of ancient desktop loudspeakers with a small sub, both connected through an E-MU 1616m audio interface.

Further listening can be done via a hi-fi system or through a mixing desk and PA speakers.

John.

I use a Tascam US 144MKII Audio Interface and a pair of M-Audio BX5a powered monitors. I also have an inexpensive pair of Sennheiser Headphones.

During the night, while my wife is sleeping, I use my aging but valued headphones (K240DF by AKG). During the day (when my wife is at work), I use my aging but valued monitor speakers (HR824 by Mackie).
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Thanks to all have replied so far. The reason I asked this was to try to get an idea of how my music might sound to the people on the forum, and that of course depends on how they are listening. My hope is to adjust my mixing to try ensure my music sounds listenable on a variety of systems. I myself have tried various solutions, including 3-way Klipsch computer speakers, M-Audio BX5a studios, B & W bookshelfs, and headphones. I'm currently using the latter (Sennheiser HD 212). The M-audios don't have any bass, the Klipsch's way too much. The B & W's were the best, but they're upstairs on my living room system. What I am discovering is that composing is incredibly complicated, and your mix is not just a function of your system and your mixing skills, but also, and most importantly, your technique as a composer. My music is very dense, a lot going on. It's something I'm trying to change, but for now what I've posted (Skating) is probably not very successful as sound, except in headphones, which is what I mixed it in. I am in the process of remixing it, and will repost it when it's done. I used way too many audio effects, for one thing. I'm trying to achieve a more transparent mix, which will sound decent on a variety of systems. I will probably at some point invest in decent studio monitors. For my music, which as I said is very dense, it's the only solution. If you are writing chamber music, or just have in general a more transparent style, it may not matter so much. A single instrument is going to sound great on any system. An orchestral piece will need much more intensive mixing to sound good on different systems. So this is all great feedback for me!

Quote Originally Posted by michael diemer View Post
    ...for now what I've posted (Skating) is probably not very successful as sound, except in headphones, which is what I mixed it in...
    Michael, that made me do a Forum search - I keep up on music posted in the Garritan Listening Room, and couldn't remember anything called "Skating." Now I see why - You posted the various versions in "Listening Area" which is a totally different place. That means that not many, if any folks here have heard your piece!

Randy

Go Back to forum