• Register
  • Help

Topic: SIB3 and Kontakt Silver

Share/Bookmark

SIB3 and Kontakt Silver

Just got this thing, and thedemos aren ot very good. My Yamaha sw1000xg sound much better. Any other opinions out there?

Re: SIB3 and Kontakt Silver

Haven\'t heard the demos yet, however, I was bummed to hear that this rendition of Kontakt Player WON\'T allow you to load in 3rd party kontakt samples. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

It would be a wonderful thing to use Kontakt Player from within the Sibelius environment. I hope they\'ll consider this for future releases.

jc

For the price I really doubt that they\'ll let you load in other samples. Sibelius wants to keep the price low. And NI would like to sell the full version of Kontakt.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Welcome to the wonderful world of bundles. When one software company bundles content with another, it\'s not out of the goodness of their heart. They\'re seeking sales, using a crippled version as bait. It\'s one of the more effective ways software companies work the market. This is why NI presumably \"gives\" Kompakt away with EWQLSO. They hope you\'ll use what\'s there, get a jones for more, and re-up to the full version.

Nothing wrong with it, and it\'s a great way for hobbyists or beginning professionals to get tools on a budget.

Lexicon did the same thing with SONAR 3.0. You get an extremely rocking reverb \"free\" with SONAR, but it will only run in the single app. Go to Lexicon.com, and you see that Lexicon has a hardware interface for sale with a bundled version of, guess what...SONAR. Well, a very lite version of SONAR, at any rate. Same theory. End user buys the bundle, gets to know the software, and eventually wants to get on the upgrade path...so Cakewalk gets a SONAR sale.

All good. Just know what you\'re getting in a bundle, to be sure it\'s really going to serve you. Sometimes, what\'s bundled isn\'t going to take you anywhere, so you might explore cheaper, non-bundle packages to get only the components you really need.

But, in this relative late-childhood, early-adolescence of music software, I\'d take advantage of every license you can get. You never know who will ultimately survive, much less offer great future technology.

Originally posted by Bruce A. Richardson:
    This is why NI presumably \"gives\" Kompakt away with EWQLSO. They hope you\'ll use what\'s there, get a jones for more, and re-up to the full version.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Bruce,

NI doesn\'t \"give\" Kompakt away with EWQLSO - we pay for it.

For playing back orchestral samples there is nothing, at any price, that compares to the performance we are getting, not to mention the auto alternation, release sample amplitude matching, and other essentials that are not available in any other software.

There is nothing on the market that I\'m aware of that offers these features and delivers 250+ \"stereo\" voices 24-bit on a good system!!

It\'s hardly a crippled piece of software!

Btw, the player Sibelius and Gary Garritan are using are much smaller players than the Kompakt Instruments we include with our products. Compare the features by looking at our interface here - http://www.soundsonline.com/sophtml/details.phtml?sku=EW-156 with the player they are providing here - http://www.sibelius.com/products/sibelius/3/playback.html

Doug Rogers
    -------------------
    EASTWEST
    www.soundsonline.com

I think Sib missed the boat on this one. their demos require instruments that are not available with\"Kontakt Silver\" One string patch only.. THe Gold in my opinion would be required in order to be useful. With the demos using Kontakt as bad as they seem to be, to me, I wonder if spending the xtra 100 makes sense. Presumably, Garys forthcoming product should be much better

I\'m happy with Silver - but not for rendering performances. I\'ll use it to proof compositions when traveling with the laptop. I\'ll use Silver for the more critical instruments (oboe, clarinet...), and the built-in Microsoft MIDI deal for percussion and the like.

For rendering it\'s back home to the Giga-libs.

I\'d expect GPO to be stronger, but still quite a bit more limited than what one can do with GS96, Sam Horns, GOS Lite, WS_WC and G-Town ($650?), let alone VSL/EWQLSO ($$$).

I didn\'t update Sibelius 2.11 to 3.0 for the samples, but it\'s a nice extra.

What do you plan to use for strings?

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by dougrogers:
    It\'s hardly a crippled piece of software!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">My bad on that word choice. NI\'s hope, obviously, is that they get a Kontakt licensee down the line, once people have had a taste of Kompakt.

Originally posted by EJ:
    What do you plan to use for strings?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">The string patch!

Again it\'s only for sketches when away from home. When at the Giga-rig I use Kirk Hunter\'s strings. For now I add more reverb when I want to pretend it\'s an ensemble :-) (I should have bought GOS Lite long ago, but I keep telling myself that I\'ll get the advanced version soon...)

Go Back to forum