• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Keeping the accounts of sample CD purchasements.

Share/Bookmark

Keeping the accounts of sample CD purchasements.

I forgot to keep some accounts of sample CD\'s I purchased. I it important to keep the accounts?

Re: Keeping the accounts of sample CD purchasements.

Hi,

I\'ve never had to prove my ownership of sample libraries yet. I would think that it is important to retain your original receipt as proof of ownership if you bought it from a store such as Guitar Center, Sam Ash, etc. If you bought directly from a manufacturer/distributor such as Soundsonline or Ilio, etc., they may have you registered in their records anyhow.

If you\'re concerned, I would contact the sample manufacturer to find out what you need to do. It\'s always best to get the information straight from the source.

HTH,
    FV

If you are a professional composer/sound designer that is self-employed and/or paid via 1099...
    You may deprecate your sample libraries at tax time as a business expense. Not too mention, your gear, internet, electric bill etc [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

You will of course need to show your receipts.

Hello [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

In general it is important to keep receipts and any other documentation that comes with any sample or software purchase.

These days most retailers, us included, keep records of every purchase our customers make. So if you are missing your receipt usually all it takes is contacting the retailer you bought the library from and asking them for a copy of your receipt.

It can be important to have these records for several reasons.

As Frank mentioned in an earlier post, these records definitely can be useful during tax season. Also these documents are important for other reasons as well, such as being able provide proof of ownership when trying to get support, an upgrade, or if you are using the libraries commercially.

Most of the time, sample developers include registration cards or instructions for registering the discs as well. Registering with the developer is important for many of the same reasons listed above.

If you got a library as a gift, and did not register with the developer, the best option is to have the person who gave you the gift to contact the developer or retailer for you. This scenario is another good reason for registering with the developer.

I hope this info helps!

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by Luigi:
    Doesn\'t the sample CD alone not prove enough that you\'ve bought it?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Not at all. But assuming you came by the samples honestly and legally, there will be a paper trail somewhere that proves you are the legitimate licensee, and all the vendors I know would happily help you out. It is in everyone\'s best interest.

So how can I get these paper trails that prove you are the legitimate licensee?

You just make them up if you get audited!

Here\'s another reason to buy direct from the sample developer, when it\'s practical. I\'m sure that if I asked the developers from whom I\'ve bought direct to send me a copy of the receipt that they would. Guitar Center might not be so helpful.

I\'m from Europe.

When you don\'t buy directly from a manufacturer, you won\'t get this legitimate licensee as well, because you get the account of another store.
    For example, I bought the PMI Bösendorfer at Post Audio Media, so I got it directly from the manufacturer. I could also have bought it at Bestservice, in that case I wouldn\'t have the licensee from the manufacturer.

Wouldn\'t it be wise if every sample CD manufacturer would send licensee papers with every purchasement?

If you get a library as a gift from someone, you won\'t have an account on your name too. There can always be circumstances in which you don\'t have an account. Doesn\'t the sample CD alone not prove enough that you\'ve bought it?

Go Back to forum