• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Are (our) virtual studios worth nothing?

Share/Bookmark

Are (our) virtual studios worth nothing?

I was talking to a notary about preparing my first will (yes, yes, you do get around to these kinds of things once you pass 40... [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] ), and the question of what I would leave from my studio for others. I thought about all the software and (especially) sample librairies I own (the license to use)... I can\'t give those away! They\'re just going to go to the dumps... my studio\'s not really worth much!

Please, I don\'t really want to get into a debate about the pros and cons of licensing. I just wanted to share this realisation with some colleagues! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Re: Are (our) virtual studios worth nothing?

Oh please... you\'re taking your license agreement to the grave? Not me... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Ned, don\'t you have much more pending issues to worry about? [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

funnily enough Ned.. i was just mulling over the same question..

i\'m just about to get my 1st will too... after buying my first house...

these sample libraries are worth loads.. we should be able to give them away when we can\'t use them anymore .. we ain\'t selling if we\'re dead [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] .. right ? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Please, I don\'t really want to get into a debate about the pros and cons of licensing. I just wanted to share this realisation with some colleagues! -Ned B.

Well, Ned, I was already painfully aware of this.
    If you own VLS, QLSO, GSO, and all the SAM\'s etc. you would have a rather sizable investment in music tools. Now let\'s say you also own an old pair of shoes. Guess which is worth more at your death. Right, the samples are worth DIDDLY SQUAT to your widow.

Of course it sucks, but remember the average age of the pros here is probably about 30 or so and dying is not high on their list of things to think about, hence no particular pressure on the developers to do anything differently.

So I guess the only thing you and I can do is enjoy the jokes that inevitably arise from our complaints!

Carl

it seems to make more sense to die in germany, since the german law allows me, to sell this sort of licenses [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

good old europe! (at least for my heirs)

What are you guys talking about. Its sunny, clear, calm, and its going to hit 90 degrees!

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I bet the weather is nice and \"toasty\" right about now in Southern California!

(sorry about the dark humor...I couldn\'t resist) [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Not too bad here on the East of SPAIN,
    Ole!!,

Very interesting it is Sharmy. Obvious extra-safe approach would be to add your sample libraries to your insurance schedule. Up until this point, I have not insured my sample libraries and I was wondering the same thing for myself (what would happen if a fire burnt my legit copies?). As my studio insurance is up for renewal in a month, I sent out a few emails earlier today to some sample developers but have yet to receive a response.

It would seem a shame if we had to insure our sample libraries. With thousands of dollars invested in sounds, I\'m not liking the looks of what the premium would be. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

FV

You absolutely want to add all your software to your insurance schedule! It would be crazy not to do that, even though I suspect that most software companies would be helpful if your house got burned down.

What I just recently found out - and wish I\'d known last time I bought a high-price item - is that in Los Angeles, the sales tax goes down to 3.5% if you\'re using the equipment for post-production work. The vendor should have a form to fill out, and that\'s it.

Finally, I think Sharmy is talking about the sample developers keeping off-site back-ups. Can you imagine if a library in development got destroyed in a fire?!

Go Back to forum