• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: "Catch me if you can" mix observations

Share/Bookmark

OT: "Catch me if you can" mix observations

Hi all,

This probably falls under the catagory of \'whatever works\' BUT I noticed on this soundtrack (that I just recieved from a friend) that JW has his piano and harp panned fairly far \'right\' and the celeste just about center back. I rather like the way the piano and harp balanced with the 1/2 vlns.

I can\'t believe I haven\'t tried this. Any comments on this and other seating suggestions?

note: oh yea, his Tbones were panned at about 10 am as well.

Rob

Re: OT: "Catch me if you can" mix observations

I noticed that too. I tried it with a recent project, and couldn\'t quite get it to jive for some reason. Then again, mixing ain\'t my strong suit, and it\'s taken forever for me to get a mix template I like.

For an off-topic remark on your off-topic observation: \"Catch Me If You Can\" is my current favorite score. The opening theme is so infectious, and I don\'t tire of hearing that sax/mallet motive! Williams gets a great deal of mileage from it.

--Eric

Thanks for your comments. I too felt my mix sounded \'different\' YET it started to grow on me after a while. It seemed to balance the primary freq\'s of the piano and 1/2 vlns better. Not to get too far OT, but I have also heard some recent mixes with the 1 vlns left and the 2 vlns right with the vla\'s in the middle.

(I agree on the score - it is one of JW\'s most fresh scores in a while - IMHO. It must have been a \'treat\' for him to stretch out on that one.)

I\'ve noticed that JW harp placement going all the way back to The Empire Strikes Back. It also changes track to track. Not sure why.

Hi Simon,

Yea it was interesting. On a few glissandos it sounds like the engineer also panned it from right to center or center left (I thought he did the same thing on the Piano a few times.).

BTW, I really liked your \"Summon the trumpets\" piece on Sam Horns. Very strong theme. I was listening to that today just waiting for my copy to get here.

Rob

Interesting. Will check it out. The harp is usually on the left though. But if there are two, one left, one right (e.g. Harry Potter).

Originally posted by timzydee:
    I\'ve noticed that JW harp placement going all the way back to The Empire Strikes Back. It also changes track to track. Not sure why.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Might be placement of foley or other material in stereo or surround for a particlar cue. Moving it around sometimes means that it\'s heard. It\'s speculation on my part, as I\'ve not heard to score (and I\'m assuming that you\'re listening in stereo) and certainly not with and without dialog and SFX, etc.

For alternate orchestral setups see ANATOMY OF THE ORCHESTRA by Norman Del Mar.

Go Back to forum