• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Free

Share/Bookmark

Free

Well.

I posted about the free DAW IGNITE from Air earlier. I banged my head against that Ignite beta version wall long enough that I managed to punch a hole in it and pull a tune out.

So this song was created totally in Ignite using not one loop and exported as a Wav file and then imported into Metro 7 for just more amplitude, a beginning wait and fade at the end.

The easy listening genre.

It's called Free.

Re: Free

Hi Phil,

A very nice tune for your illustration piece. But unfortunately, I can't say that I'm wild about the sound. It sounds more like the old synth modules than like a modern library. The trumpet is rather artificial and has no real legato. The drums are good.
    But thanks anyway for the demonstration and the effort to try out new software for us!

Max

Max,

The instruments are not great. The drums, piano and mellow guitar are OK but the rest.....

What you hear here is what you get with Ignite. It also crashed at least 50 times and screwed up my Tascam audio drivers and Metro 7's MIDI controller connection protocol.

The instruments are suppose to be professional samples that Digidesign(Avid) developed(A.I.R.) when they integrated MIDI into Protools in 2005.

But I do have an MIDI file export option. .

Good night Ignite.

Phil

Hi Phil,

I know this piece is a demonstration of Ignite, but I really like this. I could see it having a solo singer instead of the trumpet and with a choir backing. I was wanting lyrics but it still is a really nice song without words.

Great tune!
    yjoh

Music... A Joy For Life.

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    ...But I do have an MIDI file export option...
    Phil, you're an Ignite pioneer! When you posted the info about Ignite the other day in General Discussion, I downloaded the program and spent just a couple of minutes looking at it. Even though I don't have an M-Audio keyboard (so the instant keyboard mapping of course didn't happen when I opened the program) Ignite acknowledged my Roland keyboard and I was able to audition some instruments.

I haven't gotten back to it since then, but now I'm not so enthusiastic to give it a longer try, after hearing about all your crashing problems - screwing up of audio drivers - ?!--this doesn't sound very promising. Hmmm.

But the music you cranked out of the program Does sound promising. Those instruments are more than fine for working something up - AND, I pulled out that quote from you above, because that was going to be my question, whether or not you could export work as a MIDI file. That's great, - if Ignite behaves and doesn't screw around with the user's computer, then it could have some fun tools to work with to at least start sketching in a piece, then that work could be exported and worked on in a more serious program, with the instruments we want.

I like what you and Ignite came up with - Thanks for posting some results for us.

Randy

Yes, I agree with many of the comments here. The piece is a nice "easy listening" piece. Ignite sounds like it isn't entirely user friendly but you were still able to create using it. I would not be able to do that. My creativity gets stifled the minute I have to restart a program or figure out why the program won't do what my mind thinks it should do. (I know, I know, RTM) but some things should be intuitive.

I would say that the piece with polish could work extremely well and thanks for sharing it.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by yjoh View Post
    Hi Phil,

I know this piece is a demonstration of Ignite, but I really like this. I could see it having a solo singer instead of the trumpet and with a choir backing. I was wanting lyrics but it still is a really nice song without words.

Great tune!
    I'm glad you enjoyed my tune yjoh.

The idea of words did cross my mind and I just listened to it again and there are some places for a three word hook so it would be possible. There are a couple of choir sample with Ignite that I thought about using but I went with the strings.

Phil

Randy,

Phil, you're an Ignite pioneer!
    Pioneers can be fool hardy and reckless but maybe also luck out.

I had problems again getting the audio routed and it was actually the OSX sound preferences needing to be changed. There is also an Apple audio/MIDI setup that you need to mess with so I forget about the OSX prefs. And also the DAW audio prefs. But I did have problems with my controllers and Metro 7. It's probably the way Ignite does the auto controller setup. Since your controller isn't totally supported that shouldn't be an issue.

I was working on something else in Metro 7 at the same time as Ignite so that might have been the problem. I finally closed Metro 7 and things seemed to stabilize in Ignite.

I also worked on this linearly and not in looped sections as I think it's programed for so it might have gotten stressed at times. I did have to keep time with the metronome or it wouldn't play back correctly. But that's good for conversion to notation. One thing I didn't like was you can only shift select the notes in one measure at a time if you want to change multiple note velocity but that's something you can do much easier in your regular DAW.

AND, I pulled out that quote from you above, because that was going to be my question, whether or not you could export work as a MIDI file. That's great
    It sure makes a big difference for people who just want to sketch something out and new users that want to eventually take their music to a higher level. You can do that with GarageBand but you stuck with importing it into Logic.

I also see that is it is a 1.xxx version so it isn't beta. I was looking at the build version.

I'm glad you liked my song!

Watch parts of the videos and give it a try. It does provide a different approach to composing than a regular DAW.

Phil

Rich,

Thanks for the positive feed back.

Well, maybe it was sort of the user causing most of the problems.

Ignite is definitely for song structure composing so maybe you should at least give it a try.

Phil

I had problems again getting the audio routed and it was actually the OSX sound preferences needing to be changed. There is also an Apple audio/MIDI setup that you need to mess with so I forget about the OSX prefs. And also the DAW audio prefs.
    For the heck of it and the fact that you presented Ignite here, I downloaded it and have been fooling around with it. I'm on a Windows 7 64 bit Professional OS with an i7 processor and 12 gigs of RAM. I had no crashes and it worked with my old Kurzwell PC88 keyboard just fine. I don't have the controller knobs and sliders available but it did recognize my midi input to Ignite from the Kurzweil.

As far as I can tell this is a garage band or Ableton type sequencer program with some need midi patterns and clips for arpeggiate clips and patterns that you can loop together to flesh out a piece of music. I have tried Ableton (not very sucessfully) and other similar type of sequencers and am not that type of writer. My son is though and is heavily into Dub Step and the like (I think that is the correct musical style term). He does a lot of house music. He works with Ableton and loves it.

I prefer Finale for developing a piece and Sonar for engineering it. I probably would do ProTools if I could afford it but my working years are behind me and my paycheck is meager in retirement.

Thanks for giving us a look at another approach to recording music. I am always interested in how music is developed by an individual and how it blossoms into a sound experience that all can enjoy.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast