• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: My initial submission

My initial submission

Here is my initial foray into non-live composition. Theme for a Crazy Italian
    I am a Grove School Grad so I have lived in the Jazz/Popular world for most of my musical life and am branching out into \"legit\" music for some other projects.
    Even though I am a published writer/composer/arranger, I am nervous about submiting this theme that is so out of my normal scheme of music.

All comments (except destructive and rude) appreciated.

Here goes.

Re: My initial submission

Hey Tresero, me gusta mucho la melodía, quiza el ritmo de las cuerdas del acompañamiento, es un poco inapropiado para mi gusto, pero esta chulo..

Hey tresero, i like so much the melodys, only think i fell a bit \"out\", is the strings grove rithm, but in general i like the piece..
    Ánimo CAMPEON.!! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

I\'m from Vegas. Making a living with music there?

About your piece, I would consider the following:

1) vary the accompaniment rhythm and articulations
    2) vary the instrument that plays the melody
    3) consider reharmonizing melody when the melody repeats itself. Varied harmonies will push your melody in other interesting directions (perhaps making your melody even more attractive)
    4) listen to Beethoven string quartets for some cool suggestions for harmony, rhythmic variation and use of melody

Good luck in the silver state. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Nice melody. Very sweet.

Your pop background certainly informs the piece with a bass, rhythm, melody arrangement and the I IV V and I IV II V chord progressions. It does have an italian feel, though it\'s not muy loco. You need some accidentals to give a crazy or off-center mood. Maybe the Italiano is only mildly afflicted :-)

Marty\'s suggestion of listening to Beethoven is a good one. Listen closely and you will find many possibilities that you wouldn\'t otherwise consider. I\'ve actually made a list for myself of
    things to try when I find myself in a rut (which is my usual state!). And the list grows as I listen to more varied music.

The only risk is that you\'ll find yourself having a hard time writing Pop in the future. Complicated music doesn\'t sell all that well these days.

things to try when I find myself in a rut
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hit Record, close your eyes, pretend you\'re Pavarotti, and sing. After you get the melody do the same for the accompaniment. You\'ll find your parts, rhythmically as well as melodically, really lossen up and will have your signature on them.

But just make sure the neighbors aren\'t listening or you\'ll have John Ashcroft at your door hauling you off to the funny farm. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Great advice! I often hear better music in my bones than I\'m able to put to paper.

Hi Tresero,

Looking in the context that this is your first foray into non-live composition I have to say that you are heading in the right direction.

I have to agree with Jon and Marty\'s comments for the general feeling that I get out of it.
    However, to further direct you, I think we need to know just how this piece is to be perceived. What setting are we looking at here? Is this to be a short descriptive piece or an actual free standing work?

The thing that I get out of it is that it is an exercise. A very good one mind you but I would suggest treating all the instruments as soloists. Right now you have one soloist and several accompanist. This piece would really take on shape if maybe your viola interacted with the violin , such as harmony , counter melody or harmony with a few passing tones. The cello part is very solid for a cello accompaniment but I think if it took on more voice of it\'s own in places you could really utilize this instruments wonderful sound characteristics.

OK. Before I go off on a tangent, which I easily do, let us know if you are going for that classical form sound, a simple sound to describe something or maybe you want feed back on mixing and sequencing ect.

Talk to you soon.

And really it does sound good.

helo tresero,
    well, not something that can instantly get my attention due to the lack of more harmonious and melodious mood....the melody is there but you need to expand it into some interesting directions where it goes on to explore some new horizons-maybe by adding little more instrumentation and letting the melody evolve with more articulations...

Thanks to all who have replied.
    First off, the intent of this was to get used to recording on my computer with MIDI etc. Second to create an Italian (more contemporary i.e. Cinema Paradiso) feel and have to do it all myself.
    Not being a piano player, I created the melody with my MIDI guitar and tried to have some thematic continuity. The other parts were done with my feeble arrangers chops on Piano.

It is difficult when the last 20 years of my musical life have been Jazz and Cuban music. Also, I am used to hearing something, writing it down and having the real players play what I meant [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I certainly appreciate the comments about harmony, though I am not sure they apply in this situation. I am experimenting with that for a 2nd part to this theme that will extend beyond triad harmony (think +11, b13 etc). I will post the second part when I am finished.

Again thanks to all.

Originally posted by Marty:
    But just make sure the neighbors aren\'t listening or you\'ll have John Ashcroft at your door hauling you off to the funny farm. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Make that the secret funny farm. After a trip through the secret kangaroo courts. From which no one will hear you sing ever again.

Go Back to forum