• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Too much sample listening

Share/Bookmark

Too much sample listening

Does it happen to you sometimes?

I was listening to a recording of Brahms 2nd Symphony, and at one point, I thought: \"Oh boy, this part sounds synthy, it doesn\'t sound like the real thing...!\". But it was the real thing!!!

Too much sample listening... [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Martin

Re: Too much sample listening

\"\"Oh boy, this part sounds synthy, it doesn\'t sound like the real thing...!\". But it was the real thing!!!

Too much sample listening...\"

In the past 2 years I\'ve been here I\'ve been shocked at the number of times \"you guys\" say it\'s not real enough when the average listener wouldn\'t have a clue (or probably) care if it was real or not.

You guys (composer types) won\'t be happy until you\'ve got a cyborg with a midi input that plays a real instrument sitting next to you in the studio. lol! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

jeesh..that would be slick though.. LOL!!

Happens to me once in a while. I think we all get bogged down in it and forget how the real world perceives it too.

A week or two ago I sent a demo to a friend. I thought the demo was pretty raw, unpolished, and somewhat amateurish, and I thought it sounded pretty synthy, and I wanted to do more tweaking.
    I sent it to her anyway.

She asked me how I managed to hire a real orchestra, and was amazed at how good everything sounded. She is by no means a professional sound designer, but as a film director and a music lover, her ears are by no means lazy.

The point is, I think our ears are all a little TOO good, and we spend so much time trying to make everything perfect, that we forget that most of the world won\'t know the difference between a sampled orchestra and a live one anyway, even with just a little tweaking.

Just my 2 cents.

actually, I\'m finally done looking for \"real enough\"

I\'ve found it in the libraries I\'\'ve aquired. VSL for the most part has made me not care so much. As well other libraries have helped me get sounds I\'m after.

QLSO will only help, but I\'m honestly done with getting more libraries for \"more realism\" after QLSO is out, and thats more because I want a particular sound.

As well I\'ll be updating VSL jsut for havin gall the instruments.

Its all in the orchestration and sequencing skills now. I\'m not so bad at the second, but the first.....well I cant really compose for orchestra all that well either so how the hell am I going to orchestrate.

Anyone doing music with the latest tools should be able to get a great amount of realism. I mean I was jsut listening to some of the \"quickies\" I did with GOS, and realized that if I spent more time on them I could have gotten some great, realistic, results.

whats that wand comment bruce keeps saying?

Any more libraries due out will only be for changing \"tone\" or adding instruments I dont have to the arsenal...but realism...or rather \"real enough\" is here now....finally.

Lol, yeah that may be true, we do concentrate far too hard on all little aspects of the piece. When I am listening to a piece now I automatically listen for instruments in the background etc and I have no real control over it.

LOL!

you guys are funny!
    realism is what brought me to sampling....
    \"How and the heck did you record this!\" will never get old, although \"shoting over their head\" explaining already is.... I tend to keep it very simple, yet unrevealing (hehehe!)

I think it\'s a good thing if you can pick out the fake from a real recording

I know the truth may hurt.... but you guys will never really be satisfied! the realism needs to be more real and even the non-real stuff needs to be more real. The bar is always gonna be rising, and you\'re all gonna embrace it like christmas.

We\'re ALL sampling jUnKiEs!!!!
    ...and thats ok.

Season Greetings,

Aaron Dirk
    NGS West

Your right. Sometimes, ironically, a real orchestra recording can sound sampled for some reason. I have experienced that as well. Also, the samples are quieter with less noise than many live recordings and the musicians are playing back all their notes very accurately with the samples. I\'ll swear that I\'m listening to a sampled recording sometimes only to find it was created many years ago or that it is indeed live.
    Very strange. I\'m with King. With VSL and QLSO, the realism is finnally very stunning and convincing.

Have fun
    Dave

Originally posted by ngstime:
    I know the truth may hurt.... but you guys will never really be satisfied! the realism needs to be more real and even the non-real stuff needs to be more real. The bar is always gonna be rising, and you\'re all gonna embrace it like christmas.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Anybody here ever read Umberto Eco\'s \"Travels in Hyperreality\"? I read it long ago, and I think about it from time to time -- but not too often, or else it would stop me dead in my tracks. There\'s a pretty succinct description of its theme at

http://www.transparencynow.com/eco.htm

Yeah, I know: he\'s one of those elitist European intellectuals, not worth listening to.

Oksi

I think it\'s good for us to aim for perfection but when you get to the point where you are listening to a \'real\' orchestra and you realize that you\'re trying to figure out how to make it sound less synthy you\'ve got to take a step back and re-think what you\'re aiming for. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Ben Ripley

Only thing missing in the realism department is solo strings. I\'m really looking forward to what VSL will have to offer for this one. To date it hasn\'t been accomplished.

Go Back to forum