• Register
  • Help

Topic: FortePiano

Share/Bookmark

FortePiano

Hi

Just wondered if anybody has come across any sample libraries which include the FortePiano. I desperately need one as my beloved old Broadwood has just about packed up and I need something to practise those juicy old Haydn sonatas on until I can get a replacement.

I\'m using Gigastudio for all my TV work but I\'ve just ordered Kontakt and I own a Triton so any of those formats is fine.

Although my studio partner often visits this forum, I\'m new to posting and it took me half-an-hour to work out where the post new topic bit was. Ouch....!!. I think I need a dunce hat. Any offers?

Jon P

Re: FortePiano

Good news and bad news. The link given by Worra is by far the best fortepiano on the market. Michiel Post\'s instruments are fantastic. However, the instrument sampled is a Walter. To my knowledge no one has sampled a later instrument such as a Graf or a Broadwood. The sound will probably differ greatly from what you are used to. How many octaves is your broadwood and what year is the design?

John

Hi Temps

Its turn of the 19th century, and titled John Broadwood & Son. Its 6 octaves (down to the low C) and sadly will cost a small fortune to restore which I just can\'t afford at the moment what with all these lovely orchestral libraries appearing at the moment. Its going into storage until I can afford to tend to it.

I\'d love to buy another earlier model (the five-half) octaves or maybe an early Stein but the price is very high so another year or two of saving is in order.

The Post Forte Piano is absolutely fantastic. What a beautiful sound, and the attention to detail in the resonance is breathtaking. I wish I\'d known about it sooner. Is it as fun to play as to listen to?!.

I did a bit of research and found that Bolder Pianos also market a library. Is it as good as the Post FortePiano (I can\'t hear the demos because my internet computer isn\'t currently connected to my mixing desk)?.

Hi Jon,
    Sorry it took me so long to get back to you but I\'ve been out of town. The Bolder fortepiano is good for the money but it is clearly the inferior sampled instrument. It just doesn\'t have the depth (number of samples) or the quality (recording expertise) that Michiel Post puts into his instruments. I purchased it mostly to support the cause (bringing period instrument sounds into the digital age) and for sentimental reasons (the Bolder Sounds fortepiano was recorded from Malcolm Bilson\'s fortepiano back at Cornell where I studied). It\'s too bad your broadwood is in need of repair. I hope you find a good storage facility for it. When you have the money to restore it I\'m sure it will be a beautiful instrument. I\'ve been practically begging Michiel Post to sample a Broadwood or a Graf.
    As far as the playing of the Post Fortepiano, it is every bit as good as it sounds. My digital piano has full sized modern weighted keys so I miss out on a lot of the period feel, but the sound and playability are simply marvelous.

John

Go Back to forum