• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: A Smokin' Cup O' Joe

Share/Bookmark

A Smokin' Cup O' Joe

I have not posted in a while either something new or different from my usual (if I have one anyways). So, I like coffee and wanted to do something fast so why not a Smokin' Cup O' Joe .

This a Garritan All Star Jazz Band

JABB 3:
    Chuck Israel Bass ( Upright 2)
    Trumpet 1
    Alto Sax 1
    Tenor Sax 1
    Trombone 3
    Fusion Drum Kit (tweaked with various percussion strips in Sonar).
    Vibes (Hard Mallet)

Garritan Steinway: Piano

EWI USB: Brass Xpander

bpm = 305 (and 155) ; the EWI was played live and at tempo (Whew!)

Jim

Re: A Smokin' Cup O' Joe

Well, sir! If there was ever an appropriately titled piece! Whew! I'm hearing this last thing tonight after 11 PM, thinking more in terms of mellowing out for sleep - but now I feel like I need to have a cuppa Java - make that, a smokin' cup o' Joe! But that's all right - you've already had it for me.

Amazing project here, Jim - It all sounds great. Interesting synth brass sound your EWI is playing, kind of a a fat, chorused old school synth brass sound, taken to new heights of sophistication with your juicy live playing.

Big round of applause - JABB shines, your EWI playing is a wow - This is super!

Randy

Wonderful!! You are a master, I enjoyed the piece from beginning to end and loved that middle section where you changed the tempo of the beat to resume to the original. Really great!

With admiration,

Raymond

Randy and Raymond,

Thanks for listening and commenting. Anytime I hear a tune like this I cannot but help to have a good day. And for the first time for me, I can play one

Jim

P.S. No EWIs were harmed in the making of this production.

This sounds really great. How much of that is you playing live and how much is written in if you don't mind me asking. It is really smoking. I like the middle section too where it breaks into an easy swing.

Kind of a busy piece of music. It was so busy that I spilled my coffee on me. I would classify this as one interesting piece of jazz music. I liked your EWI on it. You have a lot of chops on the instrument. I did enjoy the listen because I have not really heard jazz quite like this. A good post. Jay

Quote Originally Posted by RichardMc View Post
    This sounds really great. How much of that is you playing live and how much is written in if you don't mind me asking. It is really smoking. I like the middle section too where it breaks into an easy swing.
    For a piece like this, most of the parts have to written out especially the chord progressions and transitions (e.g. Horns and stuff). After I had the basic sketch, I went in for a while and just "wood sheded" with the rhythm section to find licks and melodies that worked and would make mental notes of the things that worked. So, after a while, I had most of the riffs worked out (e.g. written in my head). Then I played along using the completed melody and did some improvising along the way as well (e.g. following scales in the chord). Who says practicing scales needs to be boring ?

The EWI playing was done in a single take, but there were many working sessions to develop the melody; the whole project started on Monday and finished Saturday.

Did I answer your question Richard?

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jaynkate01 View Post
    Kind of a busy piece of music. It was so busy that I spilled my coffee on me. I would classify this as one interesting piece of jazz music. I liked your EWI on it. You have a lot of chops on the instrument. I did enjoy the listen because I have not really heard jazz quite like this. A good post. Jay
    Thanks Jay. This style was popular a few decades ago, but still fresh to me :-). Sorry about the coffee spill.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jaynkate01 View Post
    It was so busy that I spilled my coffee on me.
    That was the title, wasn't it? A smoking Cup...... I hope you don't have a smoking keyboard now.......

Raymond - having a scotch before going to bed....... and still that piece of music is playing around in my head.

Yes it did answer my question thank you. Great playing and great writing.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast