• Register
  • Help

Topic: Simon Ravn part 2 (the production)

Share/Bookmark

Simon Ravn part 2 (the production)

Simon -

Not withstanding the rather \'involved\' discussions in the earlier post, I for one would like to know:

Simon -was there any production techniques that you used in this piece/in general? I had read elsewhere that you recommend:

\"About EQ\'ing I find that taking out a good chunk on violins and violas at both around 1350hz and 2900 hz (not too narrow a band), helps making the sound more \'Hollywood\'.\" \"I would take out between -6 -12db at 1350 and the same at 2900hz.\"

Any other eq/reverb tidbits?

Thanks!!

Eric Doggett

Re: Simon Ravn part 2 (the production)

Hey Simon... Whatever you did, it sounds absolutely FANTASTIC! Gary [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks, Simon.

Regarding reverb, did you still use your trusty lexicon rackmount unit (I forget what the model number was)?

Eric

Hi Simon, would you mind going into a bit of detail about your setup in general?

I know you told me recently in another post that you are using midioverlan+ Also, you mentioned somewhere that you have templates loaded up for strings etc.

Could you perhaps explain this a bit further? e.g. How many machines do you run and how do you break down the sections of the orchestra? Do you use much external or analog gear? Do you ever layer in parts played by live musicians?

I think that the next \"Meet the Artist\" interview should be you. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] In fact I will go over to the GOS forum and suggest it now!

Eric, those EQ values only applied to Garritan Orchestral Strings. For VSL I didn\'t EQ the strings much - I took a bit off the top of the violins and violas to make them a bit warmer that\'s all. I did some minor EQ\'ing on all the other sections as well, and I treated each section (with section I mean: strings, brass, woodwinds, percussion - generally) with different reverb settings. I put the snare drums and cymbals quite a bit farther back in the image than the rest of the instruments. Took some high end off some of the percussion as well.

I know this is a cliche, but I try to use my ears and hope not to miss too much. Looking back at that cue I think I would\'ve liked the harp to be a bit further back and take a little low mids off the final mix.

Originally posted by Eric Doggett:
    Thanks, Simon.

Regarding reverb, did you still use your trusty lexicon rackmount unit (I forget what the model number was)?

Eric
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">The reverb is a bit of a mixed bag in this. I used the Leixcon MPX1 for strings, harp and some percussion, MPX500 for horns+bones and Realverb Pro on my UAD-1 for woodwinds, trumpets, snares, cymbals and some wood mallet timpani hits.

Originally posted by Scott Cairns:
    Hi Simon, would you mind going into a bit of detail about your setup in general?

I know you told me recently in another post that you are using midioverlan+ Also, you mentioned somewhere that you have templates loaded up for strings etc.

Could you perhaps explain this a bit further? e.g. How many machines do you run and how do you break down the sections of the orchestra? Do you use much external or analog gear? Do you ever layer in parts played by live musicians?

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I will just answer this briefly.

Yes I use MIDIOverLAN on two machines with GS, one uses a regular MIDI interface. So that makes three machines in all - will add a 4th to become a \'VSL Performance\' machine. I set up some fast templates for VSL that certainly doesnt include everything, but most of the essential stuff, spread across three machines, which was used for my first VSL demo. I have other templates based on SI Strings, GOS, DDBE etc. Ultimately I will have to make all new templates with a mix of VSL, EWQLSO, SI, GOS, DDBE, SAM Horns+Bones etc. to hopefully get a really good all-round setup.

I havent used any live players for anything yet - of course I hope I will get some real recordings done some day. The only thing I have added was an opera singer on an old piece I did and a tin flute on something I did for a 3D animation recently.

Hi Simon, thanks for your reply. It is much appreciated.

By the way, I hope you didn\'t mind me nominating you for the next \"meet the artist\" interview! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Regards, Scott.

I have a few questions about mixing, as I split my time between scoring and editing/mixing films.

Do you mix with dialog in mind? The post about dipping the midrange made me think of this. When I mix films, I\'m constantly riding the volume of the score against dialog. Do the better composers do this in the arrangement or mix, or do you just allow the mixers on stage to handle it? Obviously (maybe not so obviously for some) you try to avoid things in the vocal range (like guitar). The last film I mixed had a score that was one long guitar drone, that was tough.

And if there\'s a big jet flying by, you probably don\'t need loud music there because there will be a big effect. I like the example of John Williams\' Death Star exploding in Star Wars: tympani, rest, a little celeste. Let the sound effects take over, then swell when we cut back to Luke.

Finally and unrelated, what is MIDI over LAN? Thanks, -jl

Synthetic, nope I don\'t mix with anything in mind but the music. However, when composers do film scores, especially sfx heavy ones, they often colaborate with the sound designers to make room for eachother.

MIDI over LAN is... doing MIDI over your LAN, so you don\'t need to buy MIDI interfaces. More info at www.musiclab.com.

Go Back to forum