• Register
  • Help

Topic: Big Band Demo

Share/Bookmark

Big Band Demo

Hi guys, I\'ve wanted to post this for about 8 months but couldn\'t because of an NDA. Now that the game is released I\'m allowed to let people hear it.

http://www.lionsheadpro.com/Impossible/FEMusicMst3.mp3

Quick note about the reverb - it sounds like crap out of context. The context is a crazy, huge, dome-shaped 3D lab full of machines and animals. Believe it or not the verb actually works in the game. The music is the theme song meant to convey the vibe of a mad science and villany in 1937.

The game is called \"Impossible Creatures\" and it was released by Relic/Microsoft this Jan.

It\'s definitely no where near the level of much of the music posted around here but I\'d love to hear what people think...

Best,
    Crispin

Re: Big Band Demo

Crispin. Correct me if I am wrong. But are you by any chance Jeremy Soule? I think I remember this individual did the soundtrack for Impossible Creatures? Or were there several composers to this somehow confusing game?

Love - Chris

Originally posted by Crispin:

It\'s definitely no where near the level of much of the music posted around here but I\'d love to hear what people think...

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I think that statement indicates that it isn\'t JS [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] However, after listening to the track, its pretty good... so perhaps he\'s just being modest.

Sounds like it was a heck of a lot of fun to play the drums Crispin. Love the elephant troms.
    \"beat me daddy\"...

LOL James. Well - you are right on that one. Jeremy Soule is not known for his modesty.

Love - Chris

Love it, Crispin!

The usual curiosity: what sound libraries did you use?

Hell, I like the reverb - sounds like a dance hall.

M

Originally posted by Lewis:
    LOL James. Well - you are right on that one. Jeremy Soule is not known for his modesty.

Love - Chris
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">He\'s very good tho... so I think he has everyright to not be modest [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Crispin,

Awesome music. Sound like you had a blast putting this together. The only thing I would like to hear is the rythm section all sitting together (you have the piano far right drums a little left. For music like this, the pno, bass and drums would be almost sitting in each others laps (probably left side of stage). Again, though, very cool feel.

Rob

Yikes!...it\'s the Star Wars cantina meets Henry Mancini. man, we\'ve got long way to go here (performance/sample-wise) [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Neal

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Rob, thanks for the advice on the rythm section - I had no idea it was set up like that. I\'m hoping to write some more stuff like this sometime so I\'ll definitely keep that in mind.

Regarding Jeremy Soule, we hired him to do music for the first 2 cut scenes in the game. The rest is me.

Aside from the fact that we\'re good friends, I\'d hire Jeremy again in a second - his work is brilliant and, without fail, totally brings the quality of the game to a whole new level.

As to the libraries on the big band piece:

GOS (Bass etc.)
    QL Brass
    AO Brass and woods
    Piano - Good ol\' Gigapiano
    Drums - guess!
    Reverb is a combination of subtle verbs (Yamaha DSPF on-board reverbs) applied while tracking with my Yamaha DSP Factory) and then trueverb + Ren verb - applied while mixing in Nuendo.

Best,
    Crispin

Go Back to forum