• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: difference between Vienna Performance Set and Orchestral Cube?

Share/Bookmark

difference between Vienna Performance Set and Orchestral Cube?

the cube costs more and has fewer samples...
    what\'s am i missing?
    -d-

Re: difference between Vienna Performance Set and Orchestral Cube?

the cube has fewer samples? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

I think a simple search at this very forum will reply way better than me.

Join the VSL forum at http://www.vsl.co.at :-)

Yeah, a forum search will give you other topics on this exact thing.

But from what I understand, the Orchestral Cube is a standard sample library... just like AO or Miroslav, just newer and etc. :-) It includes patches for articulations, sustains, staccato etc.

The Performance set includes only \"smart\" samples. Think of the auto-switching for alternate bowings that Maestro Tools does for GOS, but more advanced to where \"true\" legato can be achieved. It includes no specific staccato/marcato/whatever recordings, but is very useful for legato passages and other things like it.

so, why isn\'t the performance set enough?
    i understand that you have sort of \"standard\" string samples, etc in the cube, but wouldn\'t you *always* want the smooth legatos, etc? Or, are 1st violins, 1st cellos, etc not in the performance set and you only get stuff like \"legato violins\" and \"trumpet intervals\"?

-d-

Originally posted by bluedane:
    so, why isn\'t the performance set enough?
    i understand that you have sort of \"standard\" string samples, etc in the cube, but wouldn\'t you *always* want the smooth legatos, etc? Or, are 1st violins, 1st cellos, etc not in the performance set and you only get stuff like \"legato violins\" and \"trumpet intervals\"?

-d-
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I can\'t imagine ONLY using legato samples. The cube provides all the other styles such as staccato, pizzicato, tremolo, etc.

Bluedane, please read my earlier post in the following thread.

(It was just one forum page away btw)

http://www.northernsounds.com/ubb/NonCGI/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=004204

Best,

Maarten

Maarten,

I have read your other post, but I still do not undertand how the performance set works, or what you actually get.

I have the orchestral cube. It\'s very nice, and wonderful. I am mainly interested in the repition notes and the harp glissandi. Could I just load a harp gliss. in C major and hear this played with only one note played? Would the repeated notes work in the same mannor? If I wanted to play a trumpet repeating an F, and I load in the desired BPM and type of articulation, would I hear this played when my sequencer plays a quarter note?

I am aware of the MIDI performal tool, but I am not interested in using this right-a-way. I would rather just load my patches and play.

I should also point out that when I record larger works, I record the sections separatly.

Here\'s what I posted on this forum on January 28:

To start, here\'s a link showing all three packages available today.

http://www.truespec.com/store/samplelibraries/ilio/vsl.shtml

The Orchestral Cube - This is more of the \"traditional\" sample library for the whole orchestra. You get ensembles for violins, violas, celli, basses, all strings, trumpets, trombones, and French horns. There are solo instruments for flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon, trumpet, trombone, French horn, tuba, harp, timpani and full percussion. This is 45GB of orchestral samples. With the package is the Performance Tool which is setup for MIDI thru and the Alternation Tool. The Alternation tool is a kind of \"phrase maker\" in that you can \"alternate\" between instruments on keyswitches to quickly combinations and articulations that would otherwise take up a lot of time performaing in, then editing in the MIDI sequencer.

The Performances - These are \"specialized\" samples that you perform from the keyboard, but using either the Legato or Repetition mode found in the Performance Tool. These samples are broken down into several categories: performance-legato, repetitions (for legato, portamento, staccato and slow), runs legato, grace notes, glissandi and upbeats (depending on the instrument).

With Vienna, there\'s NO fudging on types of bowings, articulations, etc. Everything is recorded for you to perforom in for the most realistic sound possible. The only exceptions to this are the glisses, grace notes and runs, which are pre-performed. Everything else, however, you perform in.

This is an important distinction, because earlier on this forum, there was a mistaken view that the performances were all sorts of prerecorded phrases to be used out of the box. This is not so.

I don´t understand who would like to buy VSL and wouldn´t want the performance tools, which is the really innovative part...

Go Back to forum