I just got the VSL on Thursday, and only have previous Giga experience using Dan Dean Solo Strings, as I got it the week before!!!
So my experience with Giga-ing is a bit weak, but I couldn\'t be more pleased right now.
My background is that of a weekend/evening composer, than a music production guru.
That being said, however, I\'m tickled with what I was able to produce just today, practically out of the box...though with great care.
I haven\'t got a handle (nor even yet downloaded yet to my hard drive) the VSL Performance Set, so stuff can most likely improve here. So this stuff is just using things found in the Orchestral Cube, and as it happens, most often the \"BASIC INSTRUMENTS\" .gig file of the most common samples for each instrument that VSL so logically, and helpfully provides.
But here, I offer my brief, playful 2:00 minute Concert Band March.
Concert Band? Yes... I had to do some substitutions to make it work with VSL. It\'s not that bad, except that the bassoon section, which now covers Alto, Tenor, and Bari sax would probably kill me if this was real life because of the higher register they\'re playing in. (Bass clarinet part was pushed into the octave higher where needed too for use with the regular Bflat Clarinet samples.)
Also a second Tuba in the higher register was used in subsitution for the Euphonium part. Also, of course, the VSL C tumpet is faking the B flat trumpets. And finally, there is no VSL piccolo yet, so that part is covered by a high flute.
PROBLEMS you can hear, and I can probaly work out, are a few clarinet and trumpet velocities, and sample choices... etc. and getting the \"cherry\" spot out of the clarinet legatos in quicker time...done logically, etc. Tuba and Euphonium parts are a bit muddy in a small spot (but that could be me composer, not the samples I picked.)
Yet, I\'m so in love with the VSL pecussion samples.
And in general, brass quiet staccato, pesante sections are gorgeous.
As this was my first big sound library after my Yamha s80 synth...good lord... what an imrovement, of course!
I happen to use Sibelius (notation software) fed right into Giga... so, I have to manually enter (without slders) values sometimes for velocity/expression volume, or others, etc.. But, the default Sibelius \"mf\" to \"f\" is a huge leap for the VSL. Thankfully those parameters can be changed
Phew.. I\'m very happy with just being able to do this today... I know it will improve.
And this is cool, my girlfriend seems to be happy too...who was very worried about the cost of all of this.
No risk, no gain, I say.
(forgive me if this stuff is too unpolished)
PS, the piece I\'m doing with DDSS, hopefully will be finished in time for Valentine\'s Day.