• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: FREE Sforzando SFZ player and FREE sounds/instruments

Share/Bookmark

FREE Sforzando SFZ player and FREE sounds/instruments

EDIT: You need this. It will update your ARIA Engine and fix some bugs. It's not just another SFZ Player that you think you may not need.

The Plogue Sforzando SFZ Player
    (click image for webpage and download)

Plogue, the developers of the ARIA Engine, released the free Sforzando SFZ player a month ago. Like the ARIA Player, it's a VSTi and stand-alone SFZ Player. It shares the same ARIA Engine you have on your computer.

There was a bug fix with the release of Sforzando. Pitch Bend, as I use it in my SFZ instrument The Autoharp, had been broken in previous ARIA Engine updates, but now that's fixed.

Downloading and installing Sforzando will get you this newest and free update to your ARIA Engine. So, though you don't need an SFZ Player, since you have Garritan ARIA, you will benefit by getting this update to your ARIA Engine since there are several bug fixes.

AND - Plogue also released a great collection of FREE sounds/instruments to go with Sforzando. Like all SFZ formatted instruments, they'll play in your Garritan ARIA as well as SForzando.

Free Sounds Volume 1-

11 Instruments from Garritan
    14 Instruments from Digital Sound Factory
    CR-909 Electronic Drum Machine, thanks to Analog Industries
    Various Instruments from PatchArena, Plogue and More!

There's a sample set of the legendary Mellotron, with flute, violin, and brass samples.

There's also a great Toy Piano, the Siel Orchestra Strings Ensemble and a lot of other sounds.

That "CR-090" in the list above is the classic Roland TR-909 drum machine. As it says in the instrument's text file:

"This is quite possibly the most complete sample set of the Roland TR-909 drum machine you're going to find. It has every control on the unit recorded with 5 positions..."

More sounds on the page include Bowed Vibraphone, Guitar STeel Chords.

You can drag and drop SoundFonts to the Sforzando interface, and they're automatically converted to SFZ instruments! That's a huge bonus for people who may have struggled with other ways of converting SoundFonts.

The Overview video shows you what this is all about.

The Sforzando was mentioned earlier on the Forum, but I don't think the significance of it was fully grasped. I announced the release of the player on my thread which explained that the ARIA Engine update fixed the bug that had broken my Autoharp:

ARIA Engine update thread

You'll see that Sforzando is simpler than Garritan ARIA. You can load one instrument at a time, and there aren't built in FX. Just remember the reason you want this is because your ARIA Engine will be updated with the bug fixes.

Go for it!

Randy

Re: FREE Sforzando SFZ player and FREE sounds/instruments

Cool! Thanks, Randy. Love the free sounds!
    Arthur J. Michaels
    https://www.facebook.com/composerarthurjmichaels

Finale 2000 through Finales 25.4 (currently using Finale 25.4)
    Garritan COMB2, GPO4, GPO5, Audacity 2.1.3
    Core i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home Premium x64
    Dell 2408 WFP, 1920x1200
    M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496
    M-Audio AV-40 monitors

Quote Originally Posted by gogreen1 View Post
    Cool! Thanks, Randy. Love the free sounds!
    Aren't they great, Art? I hope everyone here investigates this - the ARIA Engine update, and all those amazing free instruments. It's like Christmas again!

Randy

Thanks Randy!
    John Newell
    www.johnnewellmusic.com
    GPO4, Garritan World Instruments, Digital Performer 7.24, Finale 2012, Miroslav Philharmonik

Aren't they great, Art?
    Yes, indeed! Such fun!
    Arthur J. Michaels
    https://www.facebook.com/composerarthurjmichaels

Finale 2000 through Finales 25.4 (currently using Finale 25.4)
    Garritan COMB2, GPO4, GPO5, Audacity 2.1.3
    Core i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home Premium x64
    Dell 2408 WFP, 1920x1200
    M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496
    M-Audio AV-40 monitors

Thanks for the link. I downloaded the player and the sounds appear in the Aria player. I do not see the SFZ player as a stand alone. Should I?

Quote Originally Posted by RichardMc View Post
    Thanks for the link. I downloaded the player and the sounds appear in the Aria player. I do not see the SFZ player as a stand alone. Should I?
    Yes, it has a stand alone also. Maybe you didn't accept the default of a desktop short cut being made, otherwise you should see the player's "sfz" icon, those three letters in italics as the Sforzando marking looks in a score. If you don't have that, just go to your Plogue folder in your Program Files and right click on Sforzando and ask to create a short cut on your desktop.

Isn't that slick the way the free sounds appear in ARIA also? All of the Plogue products share the same engine, the ARIA engine. The interfaces are different, according to their developer and needs.

Randy

I of course managed to botch a simple download. I had downloaded the sounds but had not downloaded the player. Is there an instance when I would want to use the SFZ player inside of sonar in addition to or as opposed to the Aria player.

I have just one question:

If I update my ARIA engine, will my AKAI EWI USB still work? The last time I tried to update the ARIA engine, I could not use my EWI and ended up reverting back to the ARIA 1.5 (something). It would be fun to try some of the new sfz sounds you talk about but I don't want to lose using my EWI just to play around with a few sounds.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Go Back to forum