• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Atmosphere Strings - am I nuts?

Atmosphere Strings - am I nuts?

I was recently doing demos for a cable tv project - the music was kind of dark atmospheric stuff with sustained strings. I, by chance, pulled up the Atmosphere strings - the Hollywood studio patch I believe, just to mock up stuff but it ended up sounding really good and I kept them in the finals. I have Garritan and VSL, which I love, but for simple sustained stuff, Atmosphere sounded really good to my ears! Or am I just crazy......

Re: Atmosphere Strings - am I nuts?

Try adding just a little of the Atmosphere Hollywood strings to Garritan or VSL strings, it gives a very rich flavor to the sound!

No...you aren\'t crazy ;-)

Those strings are a much larger composite section than either of those libraries....lots of custom stuff and secret sauce in there....

Check out these demos for further proof that you are sane:

Wow, thats a really nive piece of Maarten\'s!!

Thanks for alerting us to these demos, Eric. I have Atmosphere but haven\'t installed it yet. No surprise what I\'ll be up to this weekend, then!

It is a reminder though that some truly great sounds can come from synths, and that you can dig up some beautiful stuff not necessarily in the first place you might look.

There\'s a very handy synth string patch in the Roland sample libraries: it\'s not a realistic string but it\'s still very useful and evocative, and its entire sample time is 1 second!! I used it on Sliders a lot, it\'s called \"R-sin Pad\".

lots of custom stuff and secret sauce in there....
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yeah! I like secret sauce. Mmmmmm... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Yeah! I like secret sauce. Mmmmmm...

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">It\'s obvious, Damoy [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Yes, a light touch of Atmo\'s Hollywood strings gives width and depth to any other strings library, in my case S.I. Mini. I also had wonderful results mixing them with the roland/Siedlaczek old legati strings (instant adagietto !).
    Atmosphere is one of my best library investment this year, thanks Spectrum.

I was going to say the exact same thing as Robert Kral (about the Rosin Pad in Roland Strings), and there\'s a few other good pads in there too.

And boy, do I NEED Atmosphere- espically after those demos. And this one: http://www.spectrasonics.net/instruments/atmosphere/Atmosphere-don_t_move.html

that one is right up my alley- and if any of you know of (or are HUGE fans of) Iwasaki Taku, you might dig the ambient sounds too.

Just another confirmation that the Atmosphere strings are great!

I have been using the Hollywood strings and the Adagio Expressivo Strings which for slow legato material are beautiful. Very inspiring stuff.

They layer nicely with samples and create a nice warm rich sound.

Bryan E. Miller
    Sensory Overload Music

cool...atmosphere strings have always sounded fantastic to me...what a great suprise.

-david abraham

Hi Bryan....nice to see you here!

Welcome to northernsounds.

(aka:your friend from CA)

Go Back to forum