• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Re-installation?

Share/Bookmark

Re-installation?

Hi All - Recently I had my local 'tech expert' install a new HD for me.
    When I got it home, a couple of days later, GPO4 (which I bought as a download in July last) was not accessible in the VSTi library of REAPER.
    A whole load of other instruments were also missing - but, to be fair, the guy did warn me that this would happen.
    Any downloaded app can not be copied across from the old HD to the new, I was told.
    I still seem to have ARIA, and the registration card (png image) & the Garritan file folder in Program files (1.97 Gb) but I'm not sure how to get the whole thing up & running again & working in REAPER.
    I would be most grateful if anyone could give me an idea as to what to do.

Re: Re-installation?

Quote Originally Posted by JackOats View Post
    Hi All - Recently I had my local 'tech expert' install a new HD for me.
    When I got it home, a couple of days later, GPO4 (which I bought as a download in July last) was not accessible in the VSTi library of REAPER.
    A whole load of other instruments were also missing - but, to be fair, the guy did warn me that this would happen.
    Any downloaded app can not be copied across from the old HD to the new, I was told.
    I still seem to have ARIA, and the registration card (png image) & the Garritan file folder in Program files (1.97 Gb) but I'm not sure how to get the whole thing up & running again & working in REAPER.
    I would be most grateful if anyone could give me an idea as to what to do.
    Try opening ARIA on your desktop in stand-alone mode, and then drag the png card into it.

Randy

Hi Randy - Thanks very much for that. I tried as you suggested (not sure how to open in Standalone mode) but I get the following message:

ARIA ENGINE INSTALLATION
    This card doesn't belong to any
    installed product:Garritan:
    Personal Orchestra.4

Hi Randy - Thanks very much for that. I tried as you suggested (not sure how to open in Standalone mode) but I get the following message:

ARIA ENGINE INSTALLATION
    This card doesn't belong to any
    installed product:Garritan:
    Personal Orchestra.
    Jack, if you don't know about stand-alone mode, where you are getting this message, since you said you can't open ARIA in Reaper?

When GPO/ARIA is installed, there's a desk top icon you click to open ARIA independently of a host program like DAW software.

You did re-install GPO didn't you? You have a new hard drive, it's starting over with any program you have.

Randy

Randy - I am 65 years old. I only started working in this medium in July. In my few posts so far, I have never claimed to be any kind of an expert in this field. Just the opposite in fact, as must be patently obvious. I'm courteously (I hope) asking anyone for a little guidance in understanding all this stuff which is new to me.

Jack, if you don't know about stand-alone mode, where you are getting this message, since you said you can't open ARIA in Reaper?
    I'm sorry - I really don't understand this question.

I believe I'm trying to put all the pieces back together again & get GPO4 & ARIA working in my DAW so I can get back to realising my music.

When GPO/ARIA is installed, there's a desk top icon you click to open ARIA independently of a host program like DAW software.
    I have opened ARIA via my desktop icon. I dragged the .png image onto the GUI & sent you the message which came up.

You did re-install GPO didn't you? You have a new hard drive, it's starting over with any program you have.
    I don't think I said I'd reinstalled GPO4. That's part of what I'm trying to do.

I just need a little help in understanding what is going on & what I need to do to get back to a normal working situation.

Hello again, Jack - Please don't interpret the brevity of my replies as impatience. I'm a multi-tasking fool this afternoon, was needing to be short and to the point.

So, guidance is exactly what I'm trying to give you. Let me go through your new post and insert replies:

...I have opened ARIA via my desktop icon. I dragged the .png image onto the GUI & sent you the message which came up....
    OK, that's the "stand alone" version of ARIA, called that because you're opening it directly and you can play it right there on your desktop without having to open up a recording program. Usually, ARIA is opened up in notation or DAW software (Digital Audio Workstation)-like Sonar, Cubase et al. In those cases, the program you're recording in is the host for ARIA.
    ...I don't think I said I'd reinstalled GPO4. That's part of what I'm trying to do...
    Right, and that's why dragging the card on to ARIA isn't working. GPO hasn't actually been installed on your computer. Now that you have a new hard drive, it's like having a whole new machine. The registry entries don't exist - What you have of GPO and ARIA are now just foreign objects to the computer's system.

Hopefully you've kept the downloaded installer for GPO. You need to re-install it on your new hard drive so it can take up residence there. If you didn't keep the download you bought, then arrangemets will have to be made with the Make Music staff. They'll help you out, but that will just take longer.

Look for the original download you bought. If you find it - run it again to install GPO and ARIA, and let everything be installed at the default locations. Then your key card will work when you drag it.

And of course let us know about your progress.

Randy

Hopefully you've kept the downloaded installer for GPO. You need to re-install it on your new hard drive so it can take up residence there.
    I have looked for the GPO setup Wizard but with no results. It could be here somewhere but if it is I haven't been able to find it so far.
    I may have only saved it as an email - & all my saved mail was recently wiped accidentally by an employee of British Telecom. I know, I know , I should have been more professional & kept a copy of the details. I am learning!

I guess I need to contact the Make Music people for help.

Thanks for your help Randy. Will update you when I resolve this situation & get back to some kind of normality.

JackOats: Have you tried here:

http://makemusic.custhelp.com/app/an...SzVPY3U0amw%3D

If this particular article isn't helpful, that KnowledgeBase can be a terrific resource. If you can't find it there, then, yes, contact MM.
    Arthur J. Michaels
    https://www.facebook.com/composerarthurjmichaels

Finale 2000 through Finales 25.4 (currently using Finale 25.4)
    Garritan COMB2, GPO4, GPO5, Audacity 2.1.3
    Core i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home Premium x64
    Dell 2408 WFP, 1920x1200
    M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496
    M-Audio AV-40 monitors

I have looked for the GPO setup Wizard but with no results. It could be here somewhere but if it is I haven't been able to find it so far.
    I may have only saved it as an email - & all my saved mail was recently wiped accidentally by an employee of British Telecom. I know, I know , I should have been more professional & kept a copy of the details. I am learning!

I guess I need to contact the Make Music people for help.

Thanks for your help Randy. Will update you when I resolve this situation & get back to some kind of normality.
    The original installers often get misplaced, you're not alone. Try clicking Start at the lower left of your monitor, and in the browser type "WIN_Garritan_Personal_Orchesetra_4.04.exe." If it's on your machine, the browser will find it. Oh - I've been assuming your on Windows. The OTher version, --hehe -however you find files on a Mac, is "MAC_Garritan_Personal_Orchestra_4.04.pkg."

Randy

Hello Jack,

You mention British Telecom so you have to be in the UK.

I've often replaced my hard drive followed by a full reinstall. In fact I'm looking to fit a hard drive within the next few months or so.

I was just wondering how you got your programs and files back onto your new drive. Did your 'Techie' make a copy of your old drive then restored this onto your new drive or did he have your install disks/files or some other arrangement?

When fitting a completely new drive, my own approach and preference is to do a complete, fresh, clean install of all my programs. I do keep complete backups of my system and update these frequently but I would still prefer the 'clean', full reinstall approach. It's just my own preference. My up-to-date backups are there 'just in case' and to lessen the unthinkable of losing my programs and files.

I realise that my approach might take longer and might not be to everyone's palate but this way I avoid the kind of problems you describe. I also understand that, perhaps, some folk may not feel entirely comfortable installing their own programs.

What I'm leading up to is this. My approach to the problem you describe would be to uninstall everything Garritan, and, probably Reaper too followed by a good clean out of the system (using a good system cleaner). I would then do a clean reinstall of Reaper followed by a clean install of Garritan.

You mention losing your Garritan emails (good ol' British Telecom) and if you don't have your Garritan Install files that should be no problem. Just log into your Garritan account and you can re-download your libraries.

I hope I have helped in some way and in the meantime it will be interesting to see what Make Music suggest.

Good luck and when everything there is hunky-dory do call in and ask for any further help or advice or just to join in a discussion.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Go Back to forum