• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Unheard Beethoven Rides Again!

The Unheard Beethoven Rides Again!

Hello all! After about five years of being moribund (imagine long boring story here), I am pleased to announce The Unheard Beethoven http://www.unheardbeethoven.org has returned with a complete facelift, and about five hours of new mp3s of unrecorded, unpublished or unfamiliar Beethoven compositions, with a sizeable chunk of them using Garritan libraries.

Here's a rundown of the new materials:

All of the mp3s that list Mark S. Zimmer as Performer on their individual pages were made using GPO 4 and Overture 4. Among them:

Best of all, with the new website we'll be able to update and add new works even more often, so we definitely will not wait another five years for the next update!

Re: The Unheard Beethoven Rides Again!

Quote Originally Posted by gardibolt View Post
    Hello all! After about five years of being moribund..I am pleased to announce The Unheard Beethoven...
    Hello, Gardibolt - I'm sorry your thread has languished. I certainly recall when you've let us know before about The Unheard Beethoven. Congratulations on the site's face lift - It looks and works marvelously.

These renderings of early and otherwise unfamiliar Beethoven works are extremely well done. Everyone here has a treat in store if they delve into the depths of what you've posted.

My wife and I have just now been blessed by listening to some of Zimmer's work on these - Wanted you to know how appreciative we are of the recordings, andof the whole effort behind The Unheard Beethoven.

Thank you!

I just listened to rejected ending for Scene By The Brook and was wondering where that came from. I happen to love the 6th symphony and was curious as to whether you saw a sketch for that rejected ending or where it came from.

The rejected ending for the Scene by the Brook is interesting. It's in the actual autograph score, which is held by the Beethovenhaus in Bonn. The last page of the movement has two versions: the front side has the familiar one. Beethoven changed his mind, crossed it out and wrote this one on the back side. He then changed his mind back, crossed off this one, and said to use the first version instead. That's pretty much all we have to go on; the chronology of what happened is pretty clear, but precisely why remains a mystery. To my knowledge he never mentions the dilemma between the two endings in any correspondence with the publisher or anyone else.

The rejected version was published for the first time in the new Baerenreiter scores of the symphonies published about 13 or 14 years ago, which is how I became aware of it.

There's a similar kind of back-and-forth for the end of the first movement of the Eighth symphony (also on the Unheard website).

Thanks for the kind words, Randy!

Very interesting. Thank you.

Go Back to forum