• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Franky--any word on the Vintaudio Steinway?

Share/Bookmark

Franky--any word on the Vintaudio Steinway?

Played your Clinton Upright for an hour last night, and it led me to thinking about the Steinway you\'re working on. Any ETOA?

In any case, great pianos, those uprights.

Re: Franky--any word on the Vintaudio Steinway?

I was wondering that too.. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Hi guys, here\'s the situation right now.
    The right Steinway and Studio has been found and a deal has been reached for the recording sessions.

I am still trying to find some fashion in which to record the samples mechanically, I have yet to find or create a mechanical finger that would give out the right ammount of pressure on each note. I do not know of any Steinway D\'s on the East coast equiped with a Piano disk kind of midi system, if any of you know one that sounds great I\'d like to hear it.

The thing is, I\'ve decided to do 8 recorded velocities pedal down and pedal up at 3 recorded positions this time which is even larger than the Yamaha, doing this precisly by ear will be to great a task, I\'m working on a solution for that but I\'m always open to suggestions.

Thanks for the interest guys [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Franky
    VIntaudio

Pardon me for suggesting what may be the basic way everyone samples, but I can admit to nearly complete ignorance about what are standard procedures:

Would it help to run the mics into a digital mixer with a very precise level meter that would let you see the amplitude\\volume of each key press (since volume=velocity), so you could have a precise visual measure of each manual keypress as you go along? Might not take as long as one would expect to record the layers this way, since you would have the visual readout of each keypress, and be able to immediately rerecord any strikes that weren\'t at the intended level. You\'d pretty quickly be able to match your pressure to the volume you want, I think, doing the same velocity level for each key, and then starting again with a new layer. Could be practiced at home, on another piano, to see how long it took you to get eight amplitudes...Would have to adjust for a different piano of course.

Or is this exactly the basic setup that won\'t work? Might take two years, might take two days?

(And there\'s the biofeedback\\B.F. Skinner approach--rig it to send a mild shock to you each time you don\'t hit the right velocity. Sorry, listened to Car Talk on the way home, and I\'m looking forward to hearing what you do with a Steinway...)

Originally posted by Franky:
    The right Steinway and Studio has been found and a deal has been reached for the recording sessions.

Franky
    VIntaudio
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Franky, just a nudge here...please consider porting some of your stuff....especially the Yamaha....to Mach5. It\'s translating utility works very well on most things, not so good on others. The only reason I haven\'t gotten your Yamaha is because I don\'t want to throw the dice and hope it converts. ....PLEASE say you\'ll do a version native to M5!!

Thanks!

I am still trying to find some fashion in which to record the samples mechanically, I have yet to find or create a mechanical finger that would give out the right ammount of pressure on each note. I do not know of any Steinway D\'s on the East coast equiped with a Piano disk kind of midi system, if any of you know one that sounds great I\'d like to hear it.

The thing is, I\'ve decided to do 8 recorded velocities pedal down and pedal up at 3 recorded positions this time which is even larger than the Yamaha, doing this precisly by ear will be to great a task, I\'m working on a solution for that but I\'m always open to suggestions.

Franky
    VIntaudio
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi
    I\'m happy to hear that you will be recording at 3 positions on the steinway lib too, I think it\'s very useful to have this feature in the Yamaha. The slightly different \"feel\" of the different perspectives is great for inspiration!

Good luck recording! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thx guys [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Jake, the level option has been studied and tried, it\'s too loose and not precise enough for my tastes, I really want it to be leveled precisly although so far it\'re the only real option we have.

Hi Tom, unfortunatly until Mach 5 has disk streaming, you\'d need 4 gigs of Ram to run each instrument, is there a plan to implement disk streaming with Mach 5 ?

Kindly
    Franky
    VIntaudio
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yes, M5 will be streaming. It\'s a great sampler for the Mac, extremely easy to use and sounds super.

Could you rig up a MIDI guitar pickup? That\'d give you velocity readout, but you\'d still be going freebird on the hammer strikes, which would require alot of practice. You\'d also have to build a custom sampling mechanism or monitorin system to keep a log of time vs. velocity -- then you\'d know in both realtime and after the fact which strikes fall within the tolerance. That sounds like alot of work...

- Keith

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">The QRS Playola should fit the bill. You can do a fully automated recording -- adjust the mechanical velocity curves, set up a sequencer to playback MIDI and record all mics, start \'er off, go have lunch, take in a movie, then come back and save the recorded files. Best of all, it\'s completely portable -- no need to modify or hack a piano.

http://www.pianosupply.com/playola/

Thx guys [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Jake, the level option has been studied and tried, it\'s too loose and not precise enough for my tastes, I really want it to be leveled precisly although so far it\'re the only real option we have.

Hi Tom, unfortunatly until Mach 5 has disk streaming, you\'d need 4 gigs of Ram to run each instrument, is there a plan to implement disk streaming with Mach 5 ?

Kindly
    Franky
    VIntaudio

Go Back to forum