• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: So many string libraries!!!

Share/Bookmark

So many string libraries!!!

Wow...what a crop we have to choose from.
    But which one will be the most playable?
    That is, sound realistic with the least amount of tweaking within the sequencer?

And will there be a price war? :-)

Re: So many string libraries!!!

The price war seems to be about who can charge the most and get away with it! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

In all seriousness, if it hasn\'t been already stated many times on this forum, different string libraries have sounds that are best suited to different situations. For the most part they all have their strenghts and weaknesses.

If you\'re in the market for one, I would consider listening very carefully to the demos and state your primary style of composition and ask for feedback from users who have used them within that particular style.

Alnother good strategy would be to purchase the LITE versions of different libraries, and then upgrade to the full version of the one that best suits your needs. It\'s a bit more expensive but generally speaking, the LITE versions and good representations of the full library\'s sound.

\"The price war seems to be about who can charge the most and get away with it!\"

Nah... the best advice is to just buy all of them, that\'s what all the commercial composers do anyway right? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

damn right, its because we are better than you poor boy hobbyists [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I cant believe I jsut lumped myself into the \"commercial composers\" category.

I see what you mean, Sovereign. That doesn\'t sound like a sampled string passage at all.

\"damn right, its because we are better than you poor boy hobbyists\" LOL!!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] So true though.. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Originally posted by mitchb2:
    Wow...what a crop we have to choose from.
    But which one will be the most playable?
    That is, sound realistic with the least amount of tweaking within the sequencer?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Define \"realistic\". [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] What sound are you looking for? Personally, I am thrilled with the close chamber sound I\'m getting from SI Strings. Here\'s something I did recently (it\'s not too long):

short strings demo

Originally posted by midphase:

If you\'re in the market for one, I would consider listening very carefully to the demos and state your primary style of composition
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I\'ve listened to the demos. In fact, I put them on my MP3 player and I listen to them again and again at school.

However, I want the library that sounds the best with the least amount of micromanagement sequencer editing. I want to play, not program. I know that\'s a very broad statement. But an audio demo of a library can only show us how it sounds. If it took the author a gazillion hours to make the samples sound great in context...

I know that sample libraries are now coming with their own tools to overcome the limitations of simple keyswitching, so I\'m officially overwhelmed by trying to keep track of who\'s done what! :-)

ok....

tweaking.....

which one do you NOT want to tweak on. Ambience, or playing?

SI = ambience out of the box

VSL (performance stuff) = playable out of the box

Mix them together and have fun [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

QLSO may be the best option for Ambience out of the box, we\'ll see

The truth is all the string libs out in the past two years are extremely good, if you can get good results using them you\'ve probably got other problems than \"not having the right lib\".....and all of them will require some work to get the best performance AND sound. Its about practicing using the tools you have and learning how to speed up the process.

Originally posted by KingIdiot:

SI = ambience out of the box
    VSL (performance stuff) = playable out of the box
    QLSO may be the best option for Ambience
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Where does GOS fall? Is it still a contender with the three other libraries mentioned above?

Go Back to forum