• Register
  • Help

Topic: differences between SOV and VOTA?

Share/Bookmark

Re: differences between SOV and VOTA?

I haven\'t checked VOTA completely, but from what I understand...it\'s focus is on the really aggressive Full Choir sound.

SOV has a wide variety of Choir sounds in the one collection, including Boys Choir, Gregorian Men, and layered Pop Vocal stacked Background VOX (Enya-type sounds). The London Choir on SOV is very ambient, beautiful and smooth...with very little vibrato. It was recorded in a large Cathedral, so that ambience is a big part of the sound. There are some staccato vibrato performances too.....but I think VOTA\'s would be heavier from what I\'ve heard. SOV also has Classical Soloists with multisamples and phrases.

The two libraries are different and complement each other really well in the examples of how I\'ve heard them used together.

Hope that\'s helpful.

spectrum

more info:
    Features not covered by any other choir libray.

VotA is a crossfading library. All vowels crossfade from mellow to big vibrato, but these men\'s and women\'s patches don\'t have have super smooth mellow non-vibrato. The angels and demons have this, but they only cover a couple of vowels.
    VotA has all the vowels and a very wide range(3 octaves). VotA has release trails. All consonants and word building. VotA is a cpu hog because of cross\'fading and release trails.

SOV is fine for some purposes, but the whole library has too much of a \'pad\' feeling to it compared to VOTA. It sounds like it was ultra processed. The most useful patches for me are the vibrato patches and the staccato patches. Maybe it is time to release an untampered edition? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

VOTA is very dramatic - and the angel patches very beautiful. Nick, I still hope you\'ll make a boys/childrens choir \"soon\" [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks everybody for your helpful answers. They certainly helped me to get a brief overview of them.

Nick Phoenix´s opinion doesn´t count!...lol, just kiddin´ of course.

Eventually (read, as budget allows it)I would like to buy both. Currently I will keep on trying my family not to sing out of tune. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

oh! and thanks to the anonymous individual who rated me and \"gave me my stars\". [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Simon Ravn:
    SOV is fine for some purposes, but the whole library has too much of a \'pad\' feeling to it compared to VOTA. It sounds like it was ultra processed. The most useful patches for me are the vibrato patches and the staccato patches.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Simon...there\'s no processing on SOV. That\'s simply the result of the natural ambience and no vibrato performances....with a lot of attention paid to intonation. I specifically wanted a smoother sound, because this sound was not available anywhere else.

For my own use, I prefer this more \"English\" approach to Choral sounds (Cambridge Singers, John Rutter, etc). I find that heavy vibrato samples are very hard to fit into a mix. SOV has been used prominently in many scores by Zimmer, Elfman, Isham, James-Newton Howard, and many others. It works really well in the context of a mix.

Clearly the two libraries have different approaches (that are quite complimentary), but I wanted to set the record straight about the erroneous \"processing\" and \"auto-tuning\" comments I\'ve seen posted on this forum sometimes. SOV is the result of careful recording and editing very good performances. The ambient quality of the natural cathedral is one of the most desirable aspects IMO.

I also have a feeling that there\'s a very good chance that your library conversion of SOV was way off. The library was never designed specifically for GIGA, and some conversion programs got the envelopes way too long. (I\'ve noticed this with many people that were using poorly converted versions of SOV in GIGA). You might want to check this against the Roland version, which is really the best version of the library (and includes dynamic cross-fades like Nick described too)

spectrum

Thanks everybody for your helpful answers. They certainly helped me to get a brief overview of them.

Nick Phoenix´s opinion doesn´t count!...lol, just kiddin´ of course.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">FYI, Spectrum is also slightly biased having created SOV!

I want to say that this is one of the things that make this particular forum so great, you ask questions about some titles and the actual creators respond! I can\'t think of any other place quite like here!

differences between SOV and VOTA?

Apart from being able to form words with VOTA of course (with the great aid of Super Nuno´s tool).

Note I didn´t title this thread \"comparison\" because that seems to exclude one of them. I don´t see why I have to exclude any as the two of them are surely fantastic works.

I´d rather read things that are more suitable to do with one or with the other, so I can stablish my own priorities when buying.

Hello,

My understanding is that SOV is your standard classical Choir comprised of Ooohs and Aaahs and some special effects like Ligeti 2001 type stuff. It\'s quite full of different types of samples and you can get a rundown of what exactly is in it at the Ilio site (BTW, I highly commend Ilio and a few others for listing file by file what is in their libraries, it helps tremendously with figuring out if the titles is the best choice for people\'s needs).

I also understand that VOTA is a tad more aggressive, focusing on syllables and a bit more fast attack choirs, particularly well suited for films.

Think of SOV as Ave Maria, and VOTA as Carmina Burana.

BTW, I don\'t have either title so this is not an endorsement but strictly my impression based on the demos and literature that I found.

One last thing, a friend of mine has VOTA and he says it\'s a GS hog, in the sense that you would need a PC just for VOTA. I don\'t know how SOV stacks up in that respect.

Spectrum, indeed the release values are way off when you convert from AKAI to Giga. But those can be fixed. I still think it sounds very \'pad-ish\', but that might be because it is so drenched in ambience.

Go Back to forum