• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Winter's Dreams

Share/Bookmark

Winter's Dreams

Well, I had the 'winter blahs' this past month so for Valentines day I wrote this for my wife:

Winter's Dreams

I wrote the lyrics which emphasized how I felt about this winter and being stuck in the house.
    The lyrics are sentimental, but I thought I'd share them:

WINTER’S DREAMS

On these cold, on these cold and wint’ry nights, I dream.
    I dream of places that are warm
    With warm breezes in my hair and face.
    And yet the fireside is warm with you by my side.
    The warmth I receive is from the love that we have inside.

Sharing life and love is our warmth.
    Come dream with me, yes,
    Dream with me of warmth
    That’s in the sun and in our hearts.

The cold and the snow that keeps us locked inside
    is not a prison for our hearts,
    it’s only that if we don’t dream.
    And yet, the fireside is warm with you by my side.
    The warmth I receive is from the love that we have inside.

The piece is performed by:

Garritan: Piano, English Horn, Full Strings
    JaBB: Guitar, Fretless Bass
    and (Sonar) Session Drummer

Enjoy,

Best regards,
    Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Re: Winter's Dreams

Hi Richard,

There's nothing wrong with sharing your emotions and/or sentiments, especially when you do it in such a melancholic and positive way.
    I love the oboe line and the accompaniment (although the strings are a little thin and in the back side). This song truly expresses your feelings evoked in the lyrics. What a pity that we can't hear them.

Well done!

Max

I liked the haunting melody very much. The sustained strings at around 1.08 and 3.15 added to the melody, like Max I felt they could have more presence to add to the emotion. (For me personally I would like to hear it without the drum beat, it distracted my attention a little.)

Your lyrics are lovely and express so much. Very nice.
    yjoh

Music... A Joy For Life.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    Hi Richard,

There's nothing wrong with sharing your emotions and/or sentiments, especially when you do it in such a melancholic and positive way.
    I love the oboe line and the accompaniment (although the strings are a little thin and in the back side). This song truly expresses your feelings evoked in the lyrics. What a pity that we can't hear them.

Well done!

Max
    Max, I struggled with the strings. I know exactly what you are saying, but my DAW inability is having a devil of a time with creating it as a full lush environment.

I'd sing it, but I have a poor excuse for a voice!

Best regards,
    Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Quote Originally Posted by yjoh View Post
    I liked the haunting melody very much. The sustained strings at around 1.08 and 3.15 added to the melody, like Max I felt they could have more presence to add to the emotion. (For me personally I would like to hear it without the drum beat, it distracted my attention a little.)

Your lyrics are lovely and express so much. Very nice.
    I agree with you and Max, the strings need to be fuller without hiding the melody. I am working on a solution, but wouldn't mind suggestions. I know it's not a volume problem. I can make them louder, but they don't seem to be any fuller in sound. Maybe more strings? I don't know. I have them in one track, maybe I should split them and make them in individual tracks. Would that give them more depth? I will try and see.

Thanks for listening. I am glad you enjoyed the lyrics.

Best regards,
    Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Very nice, but: (There is always a "but"),
    Suggest for you to follow the remarks above my reply. In addition, I would try to break up the solo a bit, to avoid the player running out of air supply, and the lovely feelings of your composition could be more touching with increased dynamics of the solo oboe. I would be interested to hear this again with a better oboe player than you have now...
    Your feelings are to be proud of. I am married to the same lady for 62 years, sharing your sentiments...

Ted

Hi Bill (and not Richard...),

Far from calling myself a DAW expert, I would like to give some advice. But Randy is the master in this, he can certainly put you on the right track.

It could help a lot to divide the strings in the natural orchestral groups (V-I, V-II, Va, Co, DB) and spread them over the stage. There are several possibilities to do so (seat position in the orchestra), the choice is yours. Give them a decent convolution reverb (in Aria) and a stereo stage position (front for violins, more backwards for basses). Select an overall volume that is comfortable towards the other instruments and solos (balance). As for the amount of reverb, fiddle somewhat around with the amount, but don't overdo it. Ambience reverb can work fine, but is less natural. Maybe you can split your string system into 4 different systems, each one provided with a midi channel/track. This gives you the opportunity to treat them separately as to volume, dynamic movement, position, reverb, randomising of start/stop,...

I hope you can do something with this. But as said, Randy is ways more superior in these technical issues.

Max

Hi Bill,

Max's suggestions are good ones. My small suggestion if you wanted to stay with the one track of strings is to make a copy of the track and slightly delay the copy by no more than 6 ms. This is a useful "quick fix" to thicken a track.

Having the strings separated as Max suggested and maybe adding a solo violin, viola etc to each would also help with a denser texture.

Randy though is probably the best one to advise you.

It's a lovely piece.
    yjoh

Music... A Joy For Life.

I'll try your suggestions. Thanks yjoh

Challenge #10 Winner

I agree with you and Max, the strings need to be fuller without hiding the melody. I am working on a solution, but wouldn't mind suggestions. I know it's not a volume problem. I can make them louder, but they don't seem to be any fuller in sound. Maybe more strings?
    When I want my strings fuller (not louder) I will use as many as I can on multiple tracks. I.E. I would have all the solo instruments on separate tracks and all the player versions on other tracks. I just make sure that Violin 1 does not use any of the player 1 samples on the same midi tracks but does have all the Violin 2 and/or player 3 players on separate midi tracks. I then offset each tracks start times by a few ticks to make sure they are not all starting and stopping at the same time (helps eliminate the church organ sound you can get by multiple players playing the same thing at the same time). I do this for each section of strings. This can be 48 tracks or more. AND don't do this until all the original tracks are completely ready with all the correct CCs in place. It is done at the very end of your process when all sounds good in the string section, then you and the multiple tracks for each string family and don't forget to place them in slightly different places with your panning so not everyone is sitting in the same chair on stage (so to speak). This will give it a full lush sound.

I hope that made sense.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast