• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sampling a Flute

Share/Bookmark

Sampling a Flute

Finally.

I contacted Rolf Pilotti and he will come over and record some flute for a sample library this sunday. It´ll be a bit jazzier than the last attempt, since he´s an extremely talented and creative musician that can play almost anything as far as \"effects\" go.

Now, what would you want in terms of audio style? Extremely close miced, a little ambience, pretty vs accurate, omni or cardioid micing? Stereo or mono (I prefer mono)? I will record at 2496 or 2488, and resample down to 44.1 for gigastudio, but I´ll keep the hi res files for other formats. Any input appreciated [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Mats

Re: Sampling a Flute

Stereo, mono, dry, ambience, omni, cardioid ? I don\'t care! Just make it very playable. Think about what has been done already, libraries you know of. What made them good? What made them bad? What can you add? Have you thought about what different articulations you\'re going to record? Don\'t forget short sustains (2 sec) for fast lines.
    Good luck! I\'m looking forward to this.

------------
    Alex Cremers

Originally posted by Alexcremers:
    Stereo, mono, dry, ambience, omni, cardioid ? I don\'t care! Just make it very playable. Think about what has been done already, libraries you know of. What made them good? What made them bad? What can you add? Have you thought about what different articulations you\'re going to record? Don\'t forget short sustains (2 sec) for fast lines.
    Good luck! I\'m looking forward to this.

------------
    Alex Cremers
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi, Alex!

Since I have 6 years of experience in sampling and in fact have sampled a clarinet (106 mb) and a flute already (it´s 170 mb), I feel pretty confident that I will get a nice and playable woodwind sound. I know which articulations and effects I want to record, I know special ways of recording so I get the sound I want, and I know roughly how long it´ll take to edit the whole lot of samples.

What I do want to know is what the potential customers would like to see and hear. If there already is a flute on the market, that is stereo sampled, w ambience, in 2496 or whatever, I don´t want to interfer with it. I would love to have my own little corner of this tiny unprofitable market and make my product unique in more than one way.

That´s basically what I´m concerned with, and it´s an area where I´d love to get some feedback from experienced musicians/engineers/composers.

Take care! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Mats

>> It´ll be a bit jazzier than the last attempt,

mono but two different mic setting (very close with breath, and medium distance with some amb.)

What? You did the flute already? How did I miss that [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] . Now I need to do a search on Northern to find your website again.

------------
    Alex Cremers

There seems to be something wrong. I can\'t get to the Maestro Sounds site unless I click \'in cache\' from the Google search engine. And when I finally got there, there was no flute. No fluuuute??? Hey Mats, are you sure that you\'re not mixing up Halloween with April fools\' day?

------------
    Alex Cremers

Originally posted by Alexcremers:
    There seems to be something wrong. I can\'t get to the Maestro Sounds site unless I click \'in cache\' from the Google search engine. And when I finally got there, there was no flute. No fluuuute??? Hey Mats, are you sure that you\'re not mixing up Halloween with April fools\' day?

------------
    Alex Cremers
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I said I made the flute, not that I released it publicly. And I don´t know what´s with the site, I better contact Daniel again.

Mats

Go Back to forum