• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The great migration

Share/Bookmark

The great migration

Those are times of change, and the new frontiers are two newly discovered islands. One off the southern ocean called Kontakt and the other one in the northern straits called EXS24.

This topic is mostly for developers, but I would love any feedback as possible from anyone...

What do you guys feel will be the next hot virtual sampler....which of course really means, where are you guys putting your chips?

I see VSL coming for EXS, alongside some other notable titles.

I also see Kotakt being mentioned by Nick, Scarbee and others as well.

6 months to a year from now, which one of those two platforms will have the largest number of native libraries?

Re: The great migration

I agree with Lee. Who knows? Six months is a long time in the Wintel industry.

Luckily (with the exception of sample libraries which come with built in plyback engines), it looks like most instruments will be able to migrate with a user in a more or less acceptable form.

Me? Well, ma hoss is still gittin me from town to town in a spritely fashion, so I ain\'t gunna shoot \'er jez yet.

Well, the reason as to why I\'m asking is because I\'m getting ready to part with some cash for one or the other. EXS looks very attractive due to VSL, however Kontakt seems to be more flexible with some advanced features that EXS doesn\'t have.

If for example, I found out that VSL is also planned for Kontakt within the next 6 months, that would totally change my choice!

I know it\'s hard to predict what will happen next, but can any developers give us some idea of what libraries they are developing for which platform?

Also, on something that Chadwick had stated, translation programs and imports just don\'t really cut it. If for example, a library takes advantage of Kontakt\'s alterate switching and EXS doesn\'t support it, then you\'re losing on some important programming feature. I\'m tired of half baked conversions, I need the native stuff baby!

\"Most of the libraries that will use the playback version of Kontact will be bundled with it, so it won\'t add any additional cost.\"

Surely the developer has to license the player in order to include it with the product? This HAS to add something to cost of the package??

My heart still belongs to Giga [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] , but I must say that Kontakt is very nice indeed! The interface is really cool and the native programming in Kontakt was far the easiest.

Scarbee,

How would you compare programming between Kontakt and EXS? Do you feel that one is easier to create content for than the other?

Programming in Kontakt should be far easier because its almost completely visual. However, I would take EXS24 if I use Logic. You know they are going to continuously upgrade it.

Originally posted by Munsie:
    \"Most of the libraries that will use the playback version of Kontact will be bundled with it, so it won\'t add any additional cost.\"

Surely the developer has to license the player in order to include it with the product? This HAS to add something to cost of the package??
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi Munsie,

Yes, there is a license fee involved, but we are going to absorb this cost. It\'s more important to us to get rid of the format wars so we can make more libraries instead of more formats.

You can get an idea about some of the titles in development - that will all be released between March and May - at http://www.new-sampling-generation.com/sampling_microsite/

I hope that helps.

Take care,

Doug Rogers
    EASTWEST

whoa...this sounds so good...

I think I´m delaying a bit most of my buying...not to offend Giga or Halion creators, but I do want to be able to make all my work with the NI interface.
    The only thing which still makes me envy Giga users is some of their amazing libs. If that changes...

> Programming in Kontakt should be far easier
    > because its almost completely visual

Visual if you can read anything.

After Giga, even with all its idiosyncrasies, editing in Kontakt is the most claustrophobic experience I’ve ever had.

Go Back to forum