• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: What's the short answer?

Share/Bookmark

What\'s the short answer?

When a prospective client, or a friend, who isn\'t very knowledgeable about your musical work/hobby asks, upon hearing a mocked-up composition,\" Do you use synthesized instruments, or real ones?\" What do you say that is
    (1. polite
    (2. informative, and
    (3. doesn\'t leave you feeling like MIlli
    Vanilli?

Re: What\'s the short answer?

Keep in mind that very few clients you have will be aware of what\'s happened in sampling in the last ten years, and there are probably some who will be thinking \'analog\' synthesized instruments (Walter/Wendy Carlos) when they ask that question.

Without trying to sound like a BMW salesman, why not explain that you\'re using a \'new breed\' of recorded instruments that allows you to make a much better mockup than you could have five years ago, but that if he wants it to sound perfectly real, and the budget allows for it, you can hire in players?

Well, you see,
    We have a new form of electronics that far surpasses synthesis. This new method allows me to use live instruments that have been recorded note for note. Even though it is a complex process\' I can play each of these notes to make a real sounding orchestra. Long gone are the days of Synthesized strings, now I can play a key on my key board and it plays the exact recording of the note from the instrument I want to here.
    It really is simple, isn\'t it dear?
    So what\'s for dinner?

That is how I stated it to my wife.

( Of course what followed was, \" How MUCH did it cost???? !!!!!!!)

What about a producer that knows you played the parts but asks \"Are you going to use any real musicians on this?\"
    J

I\'d punch that producer in the face!

Just politly tell the producer that if he wants them to be in the music he can pay for them [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

as for your friends... just ask them if they like the music...they dont need to know how it was put together.

Originally posted by 88fingers:
    Well, you see,
    We have a new form of electronics that far surpasses synthesis. This new method allows me to use live instruments that have been recorded note for note. Even though it is a complex process\' I can play each of these notes to make a real sounding orchestra. Long gone are the days of Synthesized strings, now I can play a key on my key board and it plays the exact recording of the note from the instrument I want to here.
    It really is simple, isn\'t it dear?
    So what\'s for dinner?

That is how I stated it to my wife.

( Of course what followed was, \" How MUCH did it cost???? !!!!!!!)
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Wow whish I was as patient...would get more work...

Can I steal your lines?

hehehe

[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Alex

I think if you get on your knees and start talking to the computer case with such a dialogue you might be quite convincing:

OK, guys. Let\'s take it from the top. And Harry, watch out on that sixteenth-note run at bar 84. 1-2-3 (wave baton as music plays from monitors).

(piece finishes)

Wasn\'t that splendid?

Synthesis? Sir, please don\'t say that word. You\'ll offend them.

Actually, sir, I\'ve trained a group of cockroaches to play tiny orchestral instruments which I crafted by hand from matchboxes and soap residue. Of course, a cockroach doesn\'t possess the dynamic emotional response of a human being but it\'s pretty darn close. Don\'t you think? They are very intelligent creatures. Don\'t you think?

You know I really love your hair.

\"Do you use synthesized instruments, or real ones?\"

Tell them, \"If you have to ask, then does it really matter?\"

Now, if they say something like \"it\'s nice, but a real orchestra would really make this piece nicer\", well, that\'s another situation. [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Great responses, gang! I\'m still laughing...some good ideas there, too. You know, the worst case scenario is when your friend, or potential client, thinks of your work as \"computer music\" which vaguely suggests that not only was the composition produced somehow by computer algorithm, but it was also rendered by a sub general midi set of sounds from an 8 bit Soundblaster!

Question to all: Would it help if we thought of ourselves as \"Sound Designers\" ( I know, some do already). That implies an artist that not only uses his compositional skills, but also uses sound elements to achieve an end result- such elements being what he has at hand, be it live or be it sampled instruments. There really IS an art to rendering beautiful music the way TJ,
    Aaron, and many others do here.

P.S: maybe there ought to be a single word for an individual who can skilfully layer orchestral intruments into his template, and masterfully edit, mix, etc. the result. How about \"Toberg\",
    (in honor of Thomas Bergeson)

(tongue firmly in cheek...I think)

Carl

Go Back to forum