• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Why do I never hear this in mock ups....?

Share/Bookmark

Why do I never hear this in mock ups....?

Does anyone add things to their mock ups to make them sound more \"real\"? Such as \'hissss\', paper turns, sniffles, breath, clicks, room tone etc....

Does anyone do this? Just curious....

I noticed on Thomas_J\'s cue that it was very \'hissy\', I think that\'s part of what made it sound more \'real\'.

I don\'t know if this is an old topic or not, just wondering what your guys take is. If this is old news please post a link if you\'ve got it handy.

Thanks!

Re: Why do I never hear this in mock ups....?

alot of us do this all the time

GOS updates actually included \"hall noise\" wave files that you could layer in with your music.

it totally helps [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

As \'The King\' said this is no new thing, but making it sound totally believable might be another issue. I added a little to my VSL demo but didnt want to add too much hiss and such since it is a library demo

Oh... thanks guys [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I added a little to my VSL demo but didnt want to add too much hiss and such since it is a library demo
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I hear you... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I\'ll have to listen again Simon.

Thanks!

I would go as far as to say I \"invented\" this technique a few years back [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I might be very wrong though!

I experimented with adding hall noise (chairs creaking, sheets falling off the desks etc. )noise to my mock-ups in an attempt to enhance realism. It worked very well, even though I admittedly overdid it [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I like noise. I think it makes the orchestra breathe. Gives the feeling that there\'s some air in the recording. The VSL thing didn\'t feature any hall noise like that, though.

Thomas

Ok yes, I did hear it this time Simon, seemed like there were about 6 or 7 spots that I noticed.

I would go as far as to say I \"invented\" this technique a few years back [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I might be
    very wrong though!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I wont call you a liar! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Do you have any links to these pieces you\'re talking about Thomas? I\'d like to hear them!

I agree (not that I\'m some great composer) but I love the sound of the hall and the people, you can just hear it. All of that \'noise\' adds so much life. I\'ll probably over do it too.... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I\'d like to hear some cues that are noisy if any one feels like posting something....

Thanks!

Drop me a line and I\'ll send you some music using this technique.

jzjz@nospam!!!online.no

Take away the \"nospam!!!\"

Thomas

I\'ve used the hall noise several times in pieces, but unlike Thomas who likes to make the hall noise one of the main instruments, [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I usually make it almost inaudible unless cranked up a little bit. It\'s true though, the hall noise puts a whole new dimension in pieces. So do breath noises and instrument clicks. I believe the new update coming up for GOS has some some type of string ambience patch?

Some libraries though, (i.e Tuba God patch for QLB) has some ambience and air to the recording which works real well. Of course, too much air just sounds like a bad recording.

Closet thing I\'ve ever done was add a \"key click\" track. Whenever there was a solo woodwind passage, I mixed in some ambient key clicks to hear the \"player\" move around the instrument.

Hey Thomas,

Do you put that nospam!!! tag in there because of email-bots?

Go Back to forum