• Register
  • Help

Topic: Newbie question on orchestral libraries

Share/Bookmark

Newbie question on orchestral libraries

I know, nobody likes a newbie question, so bear with me.

I know how to arrange and compose for orchestra, but I\'m fairly new to the world of sampling and especially gigastudio. Would Advanced Orchestra be a good jumping off point for me? Or is this library so old now that it would be quickly outdated and a waste of my money? Would it be worth the extra money for the Vitous Orchestra, or piece together my own from different sample libraries. Or, being a newbie, am I just asking for trouble with these more advanced sets? I know I am asking very subjective quesions. Any response is appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Newbie question on orchestral libraries

Surfmonkey,

You say you have orchestral arranging experience - my $.02 is don\'t waste time with the older libraries (you will regret it a few months down the line.) Take the medicine now (both in $$ spent and learning curve for the technology). Check out what some of the composers are accomplishing with the new VSL library. Nick Phoenix has what should also be a serious contender in this \'new frontier\' of orchestral sampled libraries. Hope this helps and good luck.

Rob

andyt

... and if you can\'t afford VSL (which is pretty steep in price I think everyone would acknowledge), putting together your own set is probably better than Advanced Orchestra or Vitous.

Obvious contenders would be ...

Strings .. garritan, sonic implants, Kirk Hunter
    Brass ... Dan Dean, SAM Horns & SAM Trombones (a must and a no brainer), Kirk Hunter
    Winds ... Dan Dean

You should be able to put together a pretty decent orchestral library for around $1500 or even less. VSL is in the $3000+ area (at least).

IMHO, SAM Horns are the most outstanding library at the moment ($100), soon to be followed by SAM Trombones. I never heard anyone say a bad word about these ...

Hope this helps ... I\'m sure others can suggest other libraries.

Originally posted by Rob Elliott:
    Surfmonkey,

Check out what some of the composers are accomplishing with the new VSL library.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">No doubt, the VSL sounds absoutely amazing, but it is out of my price range at this point.

Originally posted by andyt:
    ... and if you can\'t afford VSL (which is pretty steep in price I think everyone would acknowledge), putting together your own set is probably better than Advanced Orchestra or Vitous.

Obvious contenders would be ...

Strings .. garritan, sonic implants, Kirk Hunter
    Brass ... Dan Dean, SAM Horns & SAM Trombones (a must and a no brainer), Kirk Hunter
    Winds ... Dan Dean

You should be able to put together a pretty decent orchestral library for around $1500 or even less. VSL is in the $3000+ area (at least).

IMHO, SAM Horns are the most outstanding library at the moment ($100), soon to be followed by SAM Trombones. I never heard anyone say a bad word about these ...

Hope this helps ... I\'m sure others can suggest other libraries.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Maybe I\'m missing something here...but only strings will be 1000$, how can one be able to get Brass Woods and Perc for 500$ or less?

Alex

There are light versions of most of the libraries.

if I were to start and go \"cheap\" and stay cheap.

Ultimate Strings no more than 150
    AO Winds not sure what the price is, but it should be cheap (only akai, but convert to gig)

SAM horns and Bones and free trumpets 100 for horns, and upcoming bones will prolly be around the same price range

LOP 400?

that should be less than $1000 total.

otherwise pick up Advanced orchestra or Prosonous collection and just work with them. Thats the best on your wallet

if your budget is a bit higher, consider the Dan Dean stuff, which is rocking stuff, as well as bits and parts from VSL and upcoming QLSO. VSL is outstanding, and I bet QLSO will be too.

or if you\'re thinking of expanding on libraries later, check out GOS Lite or SI Symphonic Strings Lite, both are upgadable to the full versions I believe.

If I was starting out with nothing and knew I was going to expand over time, I\'d pick up AO, and then grab parts from the New libraries as time goes by. VSL and QLSO offer a great advantage as all the samples are consistant accross the whole orchestra (recorded the same way and similar articulations). While I ggenerally dont care about mixing different libraries, it is nice to have that type of consistancy. Buying pieces from these libs over time to finally get \"the whole deal\" is a great way of going at it.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum