• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Some VSL orchestral Cube "biggness"

Share/Bookmark

Some VSL orchestral Cube "biggness"

I was gonna spend time tweaking the mix and composition on this piece, but then I realized I\'d jsut be spending time on a \"goof around\"

so I\'m posting it as is.

Its just an hours worth of work including load times and final render to mp3

No performance Cube used at all, and one computer. One reverb, straight out of giga to stereo wave, then compressed. If I actually mixed it, I would have pu the brass \"further back\" with less dry signal and more wet.

Its a REALLY cheesy composition. Like I said it was more of a \"goof around\" to see what VSL sounds like with bit Brass Staccs.

http://www.musicyouneed.com/2040/rockorch.mp3

its amazing how using the old and overused loops from DR2 jsut \"work\"

Re: Some VSL orchestral Cube "biggness"

Ok, ok, enough with the downplay. Let\'s just hear it already! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] just mess\'n with ya\' King....

Sounds big to me... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Although, don\'t know if it\'s on my end or what but the file had a lot of glitches in it, pretty choppy? I wonder what\'s up?

I have to tell you though king, the more I hear the strings from VSL the more I don\'t really like them? I dunno, I wish QLSO would get the demo done so we (not rich guys) could compare. I may want to piece it out?

Anyway nice piece, King.

if its the \"marcato\" stuff in the end of the piece that you dont like, I can actually make it more powerfull, but I wanted a bit of a \"lag\" for some reason I actually like that.

as for the chops. Its my sequencer machine running giga as well, and running the sounds over a network haha. So you\'re hearing poly/voice stealing, and general computer issues.

Like I said a \"goof around\", I\'m doing some maintenance on one of the gig machines.

Originally posted by KingIdiot:
    if its the \"marcato\" stuff in the end of the piece that you dont like, I can actually make it more powerfull, but I wanted a bit of a \"lag\" for some reason I actually like that.

as for the chops. Its my sequencer machine running giga as well, and running the sounds over a network haha. So you\'re hearing poly/voice stealing, and general computer issues.

Like I said a \"goof around\", I\'m doing some maintenance on one of the gig machines.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Nice \"1 hour\" tune, King - jeeze, that\'s real good. I\'m with kid, the more I hear those strings, the more I\'m fighting the urge to spend my kids college fund.

Rob

well, I can tell you that there are alot of variations on the string sounds. Also the performance set really makes a difference for legato stuff.

What is it exactly you aren\'t liking about them?

One thing that everyone should keep in mind is that each demo someone does, doesn\'t really show you all the different variations you can have.

This used mostly \"basic\" patches which are general KS instruments with common articulations. and some \"dynamic\" samples for the horns and bones.

I have to admit I love this libraries softer strings. They really work. The legato patches are really the amazing stuff. I cant wait for the rest of the stuff they want to start sampling for strings that Herb\'s mentioned on the VSL site(bigger sections, divisi, etc) and the solo violin is gonna be a winner as well I\'m sure.

To be honest, in a piece like this, you dont really go for \"real\", jsut layer and make it \"bigger\". If I did this for an actual gig, I\'d run the staccatto stuff through jsut about every library I have and mix them together, as well as some custom gigs I\'ve made from mixing libraries HUUUUUGE and \"media ventur-ish\" lemme tell ya... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

There\'s also room for some \"orchestration\" here, One could get some warmer sounds with putting a flute or some woods playing in unison with the strings.

Believe me if its \"huge\" strings you\'re missing then I dont think any library alone will do it, since that sound you hear in MV stuff is usually live mixed with samples....EQ\'d and compressed to hell [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

and I\'m rambling.... [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

\"If I did this for an actual gig...\"

Be careful what you post here King. Your name alone would make anyone think a demo from you would maximize the libraries potential. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

In other words I doubt everyone could take in that it was only done in an hour. They listen and think \"that\'s the best it can sound\"?

But your demo does show what can be done pretty much right out of the box and THAT\'s the kind of demos we need around here. (For Trilogy and Hardcore Bass as well!!) Hat\'s off to you for being bold to post something that you just threw together on a whim. Those are VALUABLE demos!!

Perhaps I\'m wrong, but reading between the lines I\'m guessing you\'re like \"shiet, now I have to go back and do it right!!!\" [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

you know. I firmly believe in doing demos \"right\" and pushing it further, but the truth is there are enough demos showing up for VSL that really do show its potential.

This really wasn\'t meant to be a demo, it was honestly me \"goofing off\" and wanting to share. I thought it really could sound better, but the composition being as cheesy as it is, didn\'t really deserve me working on it anymore [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I will do a specific VSL demo for you guys at some point soon. Just fixing the machines first [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

King for me it\'s nothing to do with your piece specifically. I thought it sounded big enough... Yeah it\'s more so \'electronic\' so who really cares for \"real\" sounding anyway. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

It\'s more so about the tone of the strings that I\'m not liking. In Thomas_J\'s demo they sound pretty good, but in (blanking on the name I\'ll come back to that) they sound kind of tin\'y (can\'t think of a better word) no fault of his. BTW... not trying to put VSL down, I\'m sure I\'ll get some of it, just not sure about the strings. I\'m still up in the air till QLSO shows a demo.

Personally the best strings I\'ve heard so far were on \"Meet Joe Black\", not that I\'ve heard everything. They just have a bite but yet are rich and smooth. I wish they sounded more like that. BTW, I know that that\'s not a lib, just say\'n I wish the were recorded to sound like that in VSL. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

hmmm

meet joe black has a lot of small section/divisi writing it seems.

You can really hear the first chair/solo violin over the top too. I\'ve always loved that sound as well, and there\'s no library that really gets it yet.

SI\'s gets the closest if you ask me, but its not the same.

Honestly to get that sound I\'ld suggest layering a couple of solo violins on top of a smaller section sample. Its the only I\'ve ever gotten close.

Very nice King...shelf that one for a videogame, pretty catchy.

I just got finished going through the legato performance instruments...SWEET!!! The legato inst. are by far the best part of the library for me.

I like the violins and the violas, but the strings that stand out for me are the cellos and double basses. They just seem different than all the other libraries I have (GOS, Kirk Hunter, AO, and Vitous). I think I would probably layer some GOS/Vitous in with the Violins. Although it is outdated the Vitous ensembles still have a quality about them that I keep coming back to.

Anyway...I\'m glad you posted that...I think it will be a couple of days before I even get to composing anything...the damn legato RULES!!

Go Back to forum