• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Simon Ravn!

Simon Ravn!

Simon, just wanted to say your demo on the VSL site \"The Traveller\" is fantastic. Really fine composing there and the samples sound amazing.

Nice work [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Simon Ravn!

Yeah it\'s pretty cool. But I thinks it is time for Simon to stop copying John Williams latest tune and try to become a composer. Compose don\'t copy.

Simon you are great composer for me and i´m pretty sure my opinion makes echo with the other great guys from here.
    nice music as always [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I heard it for the first time today, and really liked it alot! Listened to it several times, the orchestration was very well executed, and the brass entrance floored me, not only because of the samples themselves, but the musical setup leading to it. It\'s really tricky to pull that off sometimes, but man, that hit home!

Very good work Simon. As far as musical similiarities are concerned, I think the piece stands on its own. I remembered Across the Stars while I was listening, in places anyway, but overall I found the music to be original enough to take my mind elsewhere through most of the work.

When studying the \"greats,\" I often find myself writing very similiarly for a while, as I integrate lessons and styles learned. Over time those things are distilled somewhat, and the ideas become more and more a blend of my ideas supported by the techniques I worked with for so long. Take the comments regarding similiarities as a compliment, Simon. Believe me, there was plenty of original thought in that piece, and the similiarities came from technique as much as they did from any progression/melodic ones. And when your technique puts people in mind of someone of William\'s stature, your not doin\' bad [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Keep up the good work!

- We should also keep in mind that this was done as a demo for a new sample library. The next time someone asks \"but can I pull off something Williams-esque with it?\" they\'ll get one heck of an answer. This music served it\'s purpose very well.

Please post a link to your stuff.

I have already told Simon \"in person\" that I thought his VSL demo was outstanding, which it is in all ways. VSL is lucky to have Simon, Thomas and Maarten doing demos, and they are all doing great demos. And there is nothing wrong with doing music \"in the style of\" other known composers: even Mozart did compositions in the style of other composers, and acknowledged it. I heard nothing in what Simon wrote that copied anything. Once again Simon, a great job. I am very impressed with what you wrote and what you did with VSL.

Good artists copy; great artists steal. -- Pablo Picasso. -- I am not really sure what to think and I am not sure I ever really understand this quote. Was it wrong of me to copy/paste this line from Google?

Love - Chris

You\'re a class act Simon and your music is always top notch...sounds to me like someone may be suffering from demo envy. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

I loved the Demo too.
    Everything sounds great .

And about the copy thing,
    I thought it had a taste of Hisaishi Joe .
    The composer who composed
    Princess Mononoke and other movie`s
    in Japan.

Originally posted by sw:
    Yeah it\'s pretty cool. But I thinks it is time for Simon to stop copying John Williams latest tune and try to become a composer. Compose don\'t copy.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Gimme a break. First of all, I don\'t think I ever copied John Williams. Yes, the \'love theme part\' of the VSL thing was very inspired by Across the Stars, and I did that very deliberately to see how the library and I could do something like that. Secondly, if you think all music you hear out there is really original, maybe you haven\'t listened to enough. Almost everything has more or less obvious inspirations from other composers. Even John Williams has done plenty of \'references\' etc - if you think composers live in a vacuum where they develop their own original stuff all day long think again.

Again, the love theme was obviously inspired but Williams very deliberately.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast