• Register
  • Help

Topic: Bailor's Theme (Orchestrated)

Share/Bookmark

Bailor's Theme (Orchestrated)

I hope I am not spamming, but I really wanted to post the new and orchestrated version with Randy's advice. Here is the fixed arrangement to Bailor's Theme. It is still the same idea in regards to the loop. I feel that keeping the theme as it is fits Bailor the best. I tried adding some other passages and additions but it just didn't click as well as the original to my ears and the character.

Here are the changes:
    - Dynamics have been used on all instruments (midi controller 11 and velocity for percussion)
    - Notes are now slightly overlapped for better legato performance
    - Horns have rests (realistic players need to breath, thanks Randy that is such an important rule to remember)
    - I used a convulsion reverb of a cathedral this time
    - Choir is now by GIO instead of Philharmonic
    - When it begins the next loop the transition is much smoother
    - I also gave credits to myself and the artist in the video

I want to give a big thanks to Randy once again for helping me out. A real great teacher!

Old Version is here:
    http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...Bailor-s-Theme

Here is the new version to Bailor's Theme:

Re: Bailor's Theme (Orchestrated)

sururick -

I listened to both versions started with the second one. First, I like the theme. I'm not familiar with what's required with music for games. (The last game that I played at length was "Miss Pac" on one of those large clunky gaming machines! LOL!) (By the way, I probably spent hundreds of dollars in quarters playing that machine! LOL! ) I guess if the music is to be looped, it seems that the theme be kept relatively short. Yes, it would be nice to hear this piece somehow further developed. But, it does seem to stand strong on its own. Honestly? I like both versions that you presented. I appreciate the subtle difference between the two. However, nothing stood out as being too distracting from the 1st version to my modest ears. Nice job!

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Thanks for listening to both versions! It really all depends on the game you are making in which the score will resemble. I have been playing games since NES and have loved the music from all systems from then up until now. However, the two game OSTs that inspire me are Might and Magic VI and Ultima VII.

Both have very different soundtracks. MM6 is more on the dynamic side and contain longer scores which I am doing for my project LOE - Armageddon. Now, this version to Bailor's theme is meant to be scored similar to Ultima VII which has hardly any dynamics and the scores are generally meant to be short.

The thing with Ultima VII is that there is a lot of atmosphere. Whether it is birds chippering away, the ocean, etc... or even quietness. The music pops up in short clips and melodies. But those clips and melodies have stuck to my head and I know it's Ultima VII. It is quite different than scoring for movies or the such. Those short melodies bring a certain type of mood where you wouldn't want a five minute compositions to fill that. It's really difficult to explain unless you understand the game. The short melodies are to make you feel that brief moment and then ponder once its done.

This is what I am trying to do for LOE - The Etheral Gate since it is my U7 inspired project. I will show some more videos of the actual gameplay and the effects of the short music down the road to help get a better understanding of what I am trying to do to mimic Ultima VII.

So I guess what I am trying to say with this theme is when Bailor comes in with the elite army. It will be played and will make that impact with one short go... so the player gets that feeling of... Bailor,his personality, and what he is up to. The music is more or less atmosphere. When this theme pops up players will know it's Bailor. When the silence kicks in... it leaves the player pondering and just thinking of the next event. The short themes have a very strong impact in that way.

As mentioned before, you have to play the game and understand the melody to get the best possible concept I am trying to express. In this particular version to LOE having longer themes wouldn't work as well, but again, in LOE - Armageddon the longer themes are necessary. It's all based on atmosphere! For instance playing Zelda 1 for NES with orchestrated music would kill the game... just wouldn't match at all. But playing Game Cube Zelda with NES synths wouldn't work either. It really is all about the environment, the atmosphere, and the way the game is meant to be played.

However, introducing some dynamics to the short themes may not hurt either, but length is very important when it comes to atmosphere.

LOL, I remember spending a lot of money in arcades as well. A lot of those smash-in up games took my money!

Regards,

Richard

You give me far too much credit, Richard - But of course it's always nice to hear when any advice and/or information I pass on seems to have been helpful.

The new recording sounds very nice, the horns are much smoother and believable. Good job. As you can see from this thread, I seem to have had a much more hyper-critical response to your first recording than the others. They're right that the first recording came out just fine. But I do think it's great that you're wanting to delve into MIDI production more deeply, and though the difference in the new recording may be subtle, I'm rather sure it would hold up to better scrutiny by non-Forum members who will be much more critical when they hear it.

Great, Richard.

Randy

Thanks Randy,

I am happy you enjoyed the second version. I compared the two side by side. It really is hard when you compose and listen to the same thing over and over. The first version was already build into my ears cause I loved it... that alone cancels out the room for error.

Now after taking your advice again, I did what you showed me and fixed it up to make it more dynamic and humanized. I compared the two together and then I noticed the difference. For one, in the first version the bass is too constant, and now understanding players need to breath really made an impact. I feel the second one does flow much smoother with the advice you gave me.

You deserve a lot of credit. You helped me quite a bit since I joined this forum about a year ago. Until you told me the difference between song, composition, remix, and arrangements. I had no idea of between the categories. Also, with the dynamics I had some understanding previously but never really implemented into much of my compositions. You gave me the lecture and encouragement to do so! You deserve all the credit, and you are a composer I do look up to. I do appreciate you taking your own time to edit and make my compositions better! You did that twice for me now, and I have deepest respects for that. Music is my life! Thanks again Randy.

Regards,

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    You give me far too much credit, Richard - But of course it's always nice to hear when any advice and/or information I pass on seems to have been helpful.

The new recording sounds very nice, the horns are much smoother and believable. Good job. As you can see from this thread, I seem to have had a much more hyper-critical response to your first recording than the others. They're right that the first recording came out just fine. But I do think it's great that you're wanting to delve into MIDI production more deeply, and though the difference in the new recording may be subtle, I'm rather sure it would hold up to better scrutiny by non-Forum members who will be much more critical when they hear it.

Great, Richard.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post

Great, Richard.

Randy
    A bit of an aside.

You make good points, Randy. This bulletin board's "The Listening Room" tends to be quite accepting of a wide variety of styles and levels of expertise in music-writing/recording. Other "listening rooms" are not so friendly. I like to think of this particular forum as encouraging and nurturing which are qualities lacking in other music-based forums. You and others have set the tone for this and to this much gratitude is owed. So, thank you!

Also. . . your ears have been practiced and are in better shape than many, including mine. In speaking for myself, my ears are a bit atrophied as I continue on living my professional life in a non-music setting. The suggestions and comments that you share (and that others share who also have better "exercised" ears) are to be taken seriously. Such generous comments will ultimately help people like myself be better composers/musicians. And, again, I say, "Thank you".

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Hard as I tried, my old ears could not hear a loop point in the new version. I like the feel and emotion of the work. It definitely gives the impression of moving into a battle with power and dignity.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Thanks for listening Richard! The theme was definitely power and battle in which I had in mind for his theme.

Go Back to forum