• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Does my electronic stuff suck?

Share/Bookmark

Does my electronic stuff suck?

I\'m wondering if I should change up my sound, I mean with my \"electronic\" stuff... I\'m
    wondering if you guys think I should make my \'electronic\' stuff more commercial sounding.
    But the thing is, I tend to be bored by the typical \'techno\' sound that seems to be the \'in thing\' for \'electronic\' pieces in film/tv etc.

I dunno just thinking in regards to what my next moves are?

Anyway, please check these out if you feel like it.... thanks! (As always I don\'t mind harsh
    criticism... honesty is best in my book)

<a href=\"http://home.earthlink.net/~jsmiley1506/_uimages/Running20Mascara.mp3\" target=\"_blank\">Running
    Mascara</a>

Torso

Maggot

Matrix spec There\'s some music in it.

Advice? Thoughts?

THanks!

Re: Does my electronic stuff suck?

Good stuff. I really like the sounds and dark kind of gothic vibe. Just some initial reactions - who am I to critique anything anyway, I just saw that nobody else had posted so here\'s my 2 cents....

It\'s hard to comment on a piece of music when you don\'t really know what type of scene it\'s for. I would say your stuff has a cool almost European sound. Sounds like a dub or electronica artist - if you had a breathy female vocal over some of it I can hear some good songs. With that regard, some of the drum stuff sounds very \'song\' oriented, maybe some percussion or odd-time signatures, or accents would make it more \'score\'-like.

I would try some key changes. Sometimes you get going on a vibe and it\'s cool, but at some point it needs to change key to surprise you, or to go with the picture - not just like a bridge in a song, but maybe going somewhere totally different.

Also, you can still weave a little more melody in there more prominently I think. Overall, I would say it\'s very organic electronic - I don\'t hear the typical synth pads or arpeggio things that everyone uses. So, for what its worth, I think you\'re on to something very cool...

Hi Kid,

Liked it overall...(Matrix was nice demo of some familiar sounds to me ;-)

The biggest area that you could improve is your mixes. Everything is pretty dense and not real focused sounding. I think you could improve by not relying on reverb to get \"bigness\"...the heavy reverb dates it a bit IMHO.

Ideas are good though....maybe try to never use a reverb unit for a month or two. That can teach you a lot about ambience and creating size in your mixes actually. Sometimes I will arbitrarily place a limitation on myself like that, in order to force myself into learning a new approach, and stop relying on the same old tricks I already know.

hope that\'s useful for you....keep going, it defintiely doesn\'t suck...far from it!

spectrum

Disregard.

Jeff C-

Thanks for the tips! Yeah I agree with a lot of your comments, especially the \"Good stuff\" comment. [just joking [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ]. But seriously, yes I think I need to focus on doing some of the things you suggested. Thanks for listening!

Spectronics-

Thank you for the tips as well! Yeah, I just installed Atmosphere today (man, that was easy....
    what\'s the catch? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ) so I\'m very excited to use that now too. Very cool soft synth! I\'ll get the
    others soon enough...

The funny thing is, I\'m about to buy a TC M-3000 [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] . I hear what you\'re saying though, I\'ll try that, that\'s a great tip. Thanks for listening!

Munsie-

If you\'re gonna stop by, at least say hi. ;-)

Some good advice here. I really like your stuff Kid but as Eric said, possibly dated by too much reverb in places. Who knows? We may both be talking c..p!

Chris

Can someone post a link to something that doesn\'t sound dated, I wanna hear what you mean.

BTW... Is it mostly the drum sound or generally just everything that sounds too verb-y?

*ps. This is my \"only\" job, so I need to do it well!!!

Thanks!

BTW...

Does this cue sound dated? ------> Steril

There\'s not much to it....

I\'m gonna be dropping 8 to 10k in the next few days, so that will probably help my sound. Electronic and otherwise (orchestral).

Thanks for the help!

Kid

Your stuff doesn\'t strike me as being especially dated just a bit over-wet in places. There are some really interesting sounds in there I thought and some nice ideas.

If were to be critical, I\'d say some of the more musical/orchestral lines are a bit stiff, quantized and lacking a little in expression.

Thanks for the tip as well as listening, Marsdy!

I know the first piece \"running mascara\" is the worst as far a mix goes, way too much verb. I hear it now that I have my genelecs [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ... it\'s a mess.

Thanks guys!

Go Back to forum