• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Nuisance Ads

Share/Bookmark

Nuisance Ads

Is anyone else experiencing this? I read posts here and some of the words are "blue" with an underline. When my mouse cursor passes over them an ad pops up! This is very annoying. Does anyone else have this going on and/or does anyone know how to stop it. It is very annoying. I switched from Firefox back to IE 9 and for awhile it disappeared. I upgraded to IE 10 and now it is back! And I checked it is still in Firefox as well.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Re: Nuisance Ads

No, not yet, Rich. The web-browser that I usually use is Safari on an Apple computer. I don't know if this makes a difference.

Those pop-up adds are annoying, though. I've experienced those annoying suckers on other computers. Blech!
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Under Extra (left to Help) - entry Options - entry Contents (third from left) you will see Block PopUp windows - check this (to block).
    All for Firefox 19.0.

Hope this helps, strange I never saw those blue underlined sentences.

Raymond
    [I am using the Dutch version of Firefox - therefor I am saying e.g. Next to Help......etc.]

Thanks Raymond, but I already have that checked.

I did run a spyware program and found I had a few nasty things lying around. I though my antivirus was doing it all and it seems it was not. I cleaned the spyware away and all seems to be better today.

Rich

As a point of interest and a question. I see in each message in this thread a few words in "Blue" and underlined. If I move my cursor over them they will pop up an ad. Does anyone else see this or do I still have some nasty spyware stuff hanging out in my computer?

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    As a point of interest and a question. I see in each message in this thread a few words in "Blue" and underlined. If I move my cursor over them they will pop up an ad. Does anyone else see this or do I still have some nasty spyware stuff hanging out in my computer?
    Yes, I get that too sometimes, Rich. It's not on the Forum itself, it's in your computer. I've looked into it several times, because it's really pretty awful - Rich, check other places online, and you should be seeing the same thing.

The blue is because random words become hyperlinks, and linked words are blue and sometimes underlined.

This is called "Text Enhance," and it's an actual advertising service - Somehow they convince clients that having pop-ups like that while trying to read will inspire people online to follow the link and shop. Crazy.

For awhile they were all from "Coupon by Drop Down" - that was seen when the cursor was left on the word long enough to read it. The last time I had a crop of these pop-ups, the company was something like "Click to browse."

Firefox - get the Add-on called "Adblock Plus." It will instantly get rid of various ads, like the banner ads here at NS, the sidebar ads in your email account. And, it can at least help control this Text Enhance problem.

I've scanned and scanned, never find anything - it's a very tricky set of programming. It's adware, and not of itself dangerous - but it can be potentially dangerous. Do some searching online, you'll find Many posts about this problem--very common.

I'm glad to say I haven't had the problem for the last week - I have no idea why it stopped. Experience tells me I do need to expect it to return again.

Randy

Hello Rich, I don't get any of these. I have the latest version of firefox and use the popup blocker which works well. I also have 'No Script' which I fine excellent.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Right, as I said, this Text Enhance thing is an adware virus that creeps into your computer without you knowing it. It has nothing to do with either your browser or this Forum's software. Popup blockers and No Script routines won't prevent it. You may temporarily block this stuff from being displayed, like with Firefox's Adblock Plus, but the virus is still in your computer. From looking online, it looks like it's very hard to get rid of - I haven't done that successfully yet.

Randy

Well, Michaels suggestions have helped eliminate seeing these little buggers but if you are right Randy, I will be working hard to try and rid my computer of this malware. If I suceed, I will let you know how I did it.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    Well, Michaels suggestions have helped eliminate seeing these little buggers but if you are right Randy, I will be working hard to try and rid my computer of this malware. If I suceed, I will let you know how I did it.
    Thanks, Rich - Yes, you can hide them for awhile, then they just pop up again. Right now I'm in one of my Text Enhance free periods, and I'm grateful.

But I'm definitely right that it's adware - not really scary malware, but it's still a drag to have it on our machines. I've looked at quite a few pages saying how to get rid of it - makes my eyes go crossed, how complicated some routines seem to be. Everyone agrees it's a tenacious bugger, and doesn't show up anywhere as something you can uninstall or pin down in any usual way. It's a drag! If you really get rid of it, please do let me know what you did!

Randy

Go Back to forum