• Register
  • Help

Topic: Aria Player and Sonar

Share/Bookmark

Aria Player and Sonar

More and more I realize that instruments in GPO are better sounding if more than one instrument is used.(Dhaaa). To combine, let's say, two sounds, I load the instruments in Aria, then I see only two ways to make both sound in Sonar X-1:
    a./ turn Input Echo on on both tracks
    b./ load the same MIDI data on the tracks.

Both of them are cumbersome and selection a./ gives problems if you do not turn them off ( an other unrelated instrument will sound also from my keyboard.
    I wonder if there is a better,easier way to create a section? The manual is not clear on this, at least not to my brain...

Thanks

Ted

Re: Aria Player and Sonar

Again, mouth in gear before brain is engaged.
    No, there is only one way, same MIDI on both tracks. The Input Echo on only sound both tracks from the input of the keyboard, but if MIDI data is only on one of the tracks, only the one track will sound, Echo on or off.
    So, if I have a violin section of 3 players, I have to have three tracks in Sonar, all my CC11 data has to be on all three?

Ted

I'm not quite sure about what you are asking.

1. Do you mean layering to different instruments playing the same midi track?

2. Do you mean having multiple instruments i.e. solo players and ensemble players playing the same midi material.

I would think that in the first type (layering instruments) you need to assign the two instruments to the same midi channel in ARIA then make sure that both tracks of the ARIA player tracks in Sonar point back to the same midi channel. For instance you have one midi track of some music and you want a flute and trumpet playing the same midi material. (You are after a Flumpet sound .) You would assign the flute and trumpet the same channel in the ARIA player. Then when you set up the midi track assign it to (for example) midi channel 1. Then in the ARIA tracks in Sonar make sure that the assign ARIA slots for both flute and trumpet are set with input from channel 1. I have never done this but that is the way I would set it up.

The second type making like a string section for example. I would copy the midi track multiple times and set up say 12 midi tracks sent to 12 midi channels and assign an Multi ARIA player 12 violin samples. I would also set the output to each ARIA slot to outputs 1/2, 3/4, 5/6, 7/8, etc. and assign the Sonar tracks for ARIA to thoses outputs.

I am sure that I just confused the issue entirely. But in case it gives you some ideas than I would be glad.

I am in a rush right now but I could put some screen shots together later if that would help.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Rich has gotten you on the right track, Ted. In the example in your first post, you don't need two MIDI tracks with the same data, you just need the instruments in ARIA assigned to the same MIDI channel, as Rich said.

I have this screenshot of ARIA several versions back, but it still is helpful - it's pointing to the controls you have in each instrument slot. When you click the last one on the right, you choose the MIDI channel. Just set your two layers on the same channel, and they will both play/read the data from your one MIDI track.

Randy

Bless you both. It works. This little screenshot makes GPO far more valuable to me.
    I owe you...

Thanks

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    ...(an other unrelated instrument will sound also from my keyboard...
    And I meant to add earlier, Ted, that this is why you really never want to turn the Input Echo on manually. It lights up automatically when you've selected a track to work on, as you know, and that's all you really ever need. Having one of those accidentally on can drive you mad, like, "WHY am I hearing a Piano on every track???"

Randy

Go Back to forum