• Register
  • Help

Topic: "Quotes from Lord of the Rings" It's OK to Hate this, Really...

Share/Bookmark

"Quotes from Lord of the Rings" It's OK to Hate this, Really...

Alright my friends, here’s the story on this one. Back in the day when I was a college boy I was required for my composition degree to take a class called Electronic Music. It’s one of those classes that I wish I could take again because back then learning about creating a studio was way above my head. Also I had staff paper and live musicians. Why did I need to learn about messy buttons and synthesized sounds? Now that seems like a silly question in a way. Our final project was to create a purely electronic piece. I sampled 2 of my friends quoting passages from the Lord of the Rings books and movies. After an hour of play and fun recording and distorting their voices I simply improvised a score in the background to go with the voices. Some of the sounds we done were orcs, elves, men, Ring Wraths, etc. We had some fun; I did the project, and then threw it in a black box so no one would ever hear it again. Even my 2 friends, Dan and Beth, have never heard the final recording.

Today I rediscovered that forgotten black box and behold there was a cd. I played it and exploded in a bust of laughter. I told myself, “It kind of sounds better than what I remembered.” This has been the very first and only time that I ever used a DAW. I bet it was Digital Performer back in 2004.

So I wanted the piece to be about someone who fell asleep either watching the movie or reading the books and started dreaming (or hallucinating.) The dreamer notices more quotes from the movie than what appears in the book. Quotes from the book seem to blend into obscured gibberish. At the end of the deep sleep the dreamer starts waking up to the Harry Potter movie describing Moaning Myrtle’s howling. At the end of the piece you even hear, “Sorry wrong movie, hehe.”

It’s completely OK if you hate this work, because at one time I think that did also, but I thought it would be fun to share, see what you thought even if you thought the piece was total nonsense, and if someone could tell me where the samples came from. Remember this was the very first and only time I ever used a DAW. It only took about 2 hours from beginning to end. I see now though the recording advantages of a DAW because notation software could never produce these effects.
    ~Rodney
    https://www.box.com/s/7ynd20i4bim1ktx3e9db

Re: "Quotes from Lord of the Rings" It's OK to Hate this, Really...

FUN and I loved it. I don't want to know how you did this, it ruins my feeling about this. Do this more, we need some fun once in a while among all "serious" pieces.....

Raymond

What happens to me if I don't hate it?

oh my - from SOooo long ago when you were a kid-ahem-2004--You gotta know, that seems like yesterday to me. I was starting out on my big rewrite of "Dorian," and that still seems recent to me.

It can be great fun to work with sound like you did here, and you and your buddies did a great mash up, really fun mix and FX. It's along the lines of what I did with my first sampler keyboard, which was SO much easier to work with than any software sampler I've found since. Plug in a mike, record, start playing the sounds.

Tolkien is probably rolling in his grave, but Oh well-- I had fun. You had fun, Raymond did - everyone who hears this surely will.

Great--Thanks, Rod!--glad you rediscovered this.

Randy

I remember 2004. . . oh soooo long ago. . . It was like freakin' YESTERDAY, dude!!! ! LOL! (I feel old now.)

I listened to this piece through my happy almost studio-grade head monitors. VERY COOL! Thoroughly enjoyed the listen!! I bet it was fun creating this. You really did a good job. Curious. Did you get an "A" for the project???

Also. . . Why aren't you using DAWs more often? You seem to use the tool quite effectively.

Cheers, old man! LOL!

From a cranky and OLDER man,

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    FUN and I loved it. I don't want to know how you did this, it ruins my feeling about this. Do this more, we need some fun once in a while among all "serious" pieces.....

Raymond
    HAHA! You loved this thing, really? Well thank you. I guess I "wrote" it then just for you Raymond. I wished that I could do more of this, but I do not have a studio or even a DAW. I did this all in the school's studio.
    ~Rodney

Quote Originally Posted by efiebke View Post
    I remember 2004. . . oh soooo long ago. . . It was like freakin' YESTERDAY, dude!!! ! LOL! (I feel old now.)

I listened to this piece through my happy almost studio-grade head monitors. VERY COOL! Thoroughly enjoyed the listen!! I bet it was fun creating this. You really did a good job. Curious. Did you get an "A" for the project???

Also. . . Why aren't you using DAWs more often? You seem to use the tool quite effectively.

Cheers, old man! LOL!

From a cranky and OLDER man,

Ted
    Ted, you enjoyed it also? Very cool! Hey, btw what kind of head monitors do you have? It was very fun creating the project but time was a huge factor, I did not want to spend a lot of time on it due to other projects such as concerts and other works meant for live performances. I think I got a A- since it wasn't "strange" enough and I used humor in a "serious" project.

This piece and the whole studio experience is probably the reason why I have not gotten into DAWS. I am a Finale user so when a student would say, "Hey check this cool beat I composed using Fruity Loops," I would just smile and "pat them on the head" but within I would be rolling my eyes to their hip hop button pushing beat samples. So that was my first experience with DAWS that gave me a bad taste in my mouth. I write everything using staff paper and then into Finale for the sole purpose of live performances and publishing. While I was in college I looked at electronic music in a whole different light and did not want my music to go there. I have always had live performances of my music and I did not need a studio because the publisher would take care of all of that. Now though through the advancements of samples I can see the great opportunities it beholds such as sending demo tracks to performers, publishers, and making your own recordings for feedback from friends.
    ~Rodney

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    What happens to me if I don't hate it?

oh my - from SOooo long ago when you were a kid-ahem-2004--You gotta know, that seems like yesterday to me. I was starting out on my big rewrite of "Dorian," and that still seems recent to me.

It can be great fun to work with sound like you did here, and you and your buddies did a great mash up, really fun mix and FX. It's along the lines of what I did with my first sampler keyboard, which was SO much easier to work with than any software sampler I've found since. Plug in a mike, record, start playing the sounds.

Tolkien is probably rolling in his grave, but Oh well-- I had fun. You had fun, Raymond did - everyone who hears this surely will.

Great--Thanks, Rod!--glad you rediscovered this.

Randy
    Randy, Randy, Randy... I was wondering what you were going to think of this thing, hehe. Well if you do like it I guess we need to duel. PREPARE YOURSELF!
    Yes... it was just soooo long ago. LOL. (Not really in time, but probably due to the changes of my life since then: baby, career, marriage... not in that order though.)

The project seemed easy enough. Just like you said, we recorded the "vocals" and then I started playing the sounds. I wished though that now I had a copy of at least the midi because I really like some of the choral sample writing behind the annoying speeches, HAHA.

I am sure that Tolkien is rolling in his grave. Even Dan, the voice at the beginning, told me, "You didn't share this on the web did you for people to actually listen to it?" I said, "Whoops..."
    ~Rodney

Rodney,

This is crazy!

But I liked it!

It reminds me of the first time I got my hands on studio 4 track reel to reel with some effects back in 69. I got chewed out for using it without permission but my acoustic piano was in their studio. I jammed a crazy Frank Zappa type of thing. They played it back and just gave me a weird look, like I was nuts. Ha,ha. Out of there!

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    Rodney,

This is crazy!

But I liked it!

It reminds me of the first time I got my hands on studio 4 track reel to reel with some effects back in 69. I got chewed out for using it without permission but my acoustic piano was in their studio. I jammed a crazy Frank Zappa type of thing. They played it back and just gave me a weird look, like I was nuts. Ha,ha. Out of there!
    Sometimes you just gotta have fun... and some Zappa! Thanks for commenting dude.
    ~Rodney

Crazy, fun, amazing, disturbed... Never mind, like with all kind of experimental music, the making is the fun, working together (mates, machines...) This is such an example and you amused us. What can you ask more?

It was really fun and projected me back in Tolkien's Rings!

Max

Go Back to forum