• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: question for King

Share/Bookmark

Re: question for King

Hello and sorry to jump in here like a grumpy dude, I think you have a valid question and I believe that King is probably one of the best persons on this forum to answer it, however...

I find it a bit irritating that people use these forums\' topics for personal messages or questions. There is such a thing as sending a private message, and finding out King\'s e-mail address ain\'t exactly brain surgery considering that his web site with a link to his e-mail is listed in his personal profile.

If you (everyone here) need an answer to a specific question and want to post a topic on it, at least be curteous enough to ask it to everyone and not restrict it to one person, you\'ll be surprised at how insightful people around here are!

One might find it even ruder to email out of the blue.
    In this forum is where I read about king\'s cheap giga machine(somewhere!)
    If others have cheap machines that run killer, I would gladly like to hear about it.

Gee, thanks for the advice. Now that people can\'t complain about non-giga stuff, they gotta find other things to complain about, even though this is giga related [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

I just finished building a dedicated Giga computer a week and a half ago...

Asus A7N266-VM
    Athlon XP2100+
    1 GB RAM
    40 GB HD (Apps)
    80 GB Western Digital Caviar (Samples)
    RME 96/8

The mobo had built-in lan, USB 2, and vid card, so that\'s about all I needed. Works great so far.

Ben Ripley

One might find it even ruder to email out of the blue.
    In this forum is where I read about king\'s cheap giga machine(somewhere!)
    If others have cheap machines that run killer, I would gladly like to hear about it.

Gee, thanks for the advice. Now that people can\'t complain about non-giga stuff, they gotta find other things to complain about, even though this is giga related
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Aaron,

You shouldn\'t take this so negatively. If you feel that an e-mail is too intrusive, try the private message, that\'s what it\'s there for. You could also opt to do a search in the archives and find the original post from King.

Cheap giga machines will sitll prolly get you 160+ poly but 3.0 is supposed to have some stuff taht will take advantage of CPU power. there have been rumours for over a year about whats going in, but I have a few thoughts that make me anxious.

Anyhow, I would suggest cheap machines for poly count on libraries you use and are happy with right now.

More powerful machines if think you can think of some good ways to use CPU power, cuz its most likely that 3.0 will use it those ways and more.

the cheap machine I built was a Duron 1.3 on a ECS KT75A mobo. 512 DDR (not really worth it)with a maxtor 20 gig and a WD 80. Works pretty well except I have some probs with bad sectors on the WD

I\'m also building a rackmount Athlon 2100+ XP on an ASUS A7v266-C mobo (should have went with 266M for on board LAN). I\'ll let you know how it goes. I\'ve got another system that I\'ll be building with different parts as well, mostly for test purposes, then if I build one or two more it will prolly be identicle to the best performer.

I\'m pretty anxious about some giga 3.0 stuff so I dont want to build too many machines, but so far Poly is my main worry, so Duron\'s are fine, since I wont NEEEEd to use 3.0 on everything if 3.0 doesn\'t give me good performance on the Duron tat is.

Thanks King,

I\'m having a friend put this together for me, I\'m a mac person.

Is your problem with WD drives in general? or that one particuler one?

If DDR\'s are not worth it. What is? (sorry about my mac-stupidness)

and finally, perhaps another stupid question. How is this setup w/ VSL?

thanks,

Aaron Dirk
    NGS West

Its just this particular drive. Haven\'t had any probs with them in the past. I have 3 of them

Get PC133 for the \"cheap\" machines.

DDR if you\'re going ot go with an athlon, jsut because the newer mobo\'s only dupport DDR.

PC133 is about 35 bucks and DDR PC2100 is about 65

If you want a quiet PC get Seagate Barracuda IV or V drives. WD\'s are a lot noisier.

Cool!

After shopping around.... $340 - sound card. I used to work at GC part time just so I could get things at cost, I still have buddies there, so that will be cheap as well. It\'s a amazing how cheap hardware is compared to software/samples now a days. To think I was holding out for a mac solution.... now I can afford VSL [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

....silly me [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

uhm

I found a couple of Egosys Waveterminal 192M cards for 176....

but you cant find them for taht much anymore. 199 is about the best price you can fid...maybe a bit cheaper.

Thats 8 outputs at 192k. Probably not the most fantastic converters, but they skimp more on the inputs rather than the outputs.

So far the card rocks for me, and since I\'ll most likely do internal Digital rendering to wave, I should be fine.

Go Back to forum