• Register
  • Help

Topic: Purchasing Garritan Personal Orchestra

Share/Bookmark

Purchasing Garritan Personal Orchestra

Well, I am more than happy to say... that I will be purchasing Garritan Personal Orchestra in the next couple of days. With my biggest project in the works and the advice I have gotten, I think it is going to be an essential purchase to complete this project.

I am only familiar with the Dimension Pro version of GPO (Garritan Pocket Orchestra). It comes with some solo and section instruments. However, I know with the Aria engine based on my experience with GIO that the control and dynamics are going to be much more flexible.

I have a question! I read somewhere that GPO with Aria has auto legato? Is this real legato or just the overlapping of the notes? Either way, I am still getting GPO 4, I was just curious.

Regards,

Richard

Re: Purchasing Garritan Personal Orchestra

Richard, I welcome you in the Homeland of GPO Owners!

Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

That's great, Richard! I predict you'll be in heaven over the power you'll have, using GPO and IO in combination with each other. It's going to help you immensely on your current big project to have the entire orchestra available.

The Dimension Pocket Orchestra is an OK intro to GPO, except the instruments aren't controlled in the same way as in ARIA, and you can only load one at a time - it's really just a hint at what GPO is like.

Auto Legato can be turned on and off throughout a project via CC102. When it's on, instruments play monophonically, so overlapping notes don't produce two sounds at once - the results are continuous, in a legato fashion. It's basically "mono mode" which synths have had forever.

This is going to be one of your adaptations to using GPO, so I'll give you a head start on something right now:

When IO came out, there was one major thing different about its functioning compared to the Garritan Libraries we were familiar with - GPO, JABB and COMB: It doesn't use what we call Garritan Legato. In IO, if you hold down a sustain pedal, the sounds are sustained like in traditional synths, like with a piano. But in GPO and the other Libraries, the sustain pedal doesn't sustain the sound in most instruments - it engages Garritan Legato. I'll explain-

In GPO,if you need to play more than one note at a time with an instrument, then you need to switch Auto Legato off, since that can only play one note at a time. If you need a passage to be legato with an instrument playing polyphonically, you need to do it the old way. You have notes slightly overlapping, and use CC64 to bracket the passage. That means that after the first note of a legato passage has started, you engage the sustain pedal, or insert a CC64 On event (127). At the end of the legato passage, you take your foot off the pedal, or insert a CC64 Off event (0). As the manual explains, when you do that, special programming goes into effect which chops off the very beginning of all the notes in the passage, helping the sound be more smooth.

Also as the manual says, in some cases, you can find you get smoother results doing legato that way, but it's a lot more work than just turning on AL. In some cases, you might hear a slight choppiness to the sound with AL that you need to get rid of, and that would be a case where you'd need to do legato in the more time consuming way.

If you're going to have GPO and IO instruments share the same MIDI track, like a solo Trombone leading a big IO patch - then you wouldn't be able to use this CC64 controlled Garritan Legato, because the IO brass sound would be sustained, smearing the notes together - while the GPO Trombone wouldn't sustain in the traditional way. See what I mean? The solution to that would be to have the GPO instrument reading one MIDI track with CC64 data, and the IO instrument reading another which doesn't have CC64 in it.

Naturally there will be more for you to explore and experiment with, but wanted to give you a heads up on that.

Congratulations on getting GPO!

Randy

Thanks for the explaining Randy!

I have encountered a problem while purchasing GPO . I don't have credit card and I don't see any means for payment with Paypal which was the method I used to pay for GIO last year Do you know if Make Music will be bringing back paypal?

Quote Originally Posted by sururick View Post
    Thanks for the explaining Randy!

I have encountered a problem while purchasing GPO . I don't have credit card and I don't see any means for payment with Paypal...
    Hey wow, I hadn't noticed MM isn't using PayPal. But, Richard, I use PayPal all the time both in The Real World and online by using my debit card from PayPal. That's always accepted - it's a Master Card. Maybe you can apply for that, and hopefully they won't take long getting it to you?

Randy

Randy, YOU SAVED THE DAY! I totally forgot that I had a Visa Debit card which my bank sent me a few months ago. GPO has been purchased!

Randy, YOU SAVED THE DAY! I totally forgot that I had a Visa Debit card which my bank sent me a few months ago. GPO has been purchased!
    Yippeeeeeee! May the musical games begin!

Randy

:P installing now! I am looking forward to using this library. I guess the next purchase will be the world instruments.

Thanks for the welcome, Fabio!

EDIT: Beautiful, I loving the sound of the solo instruments this is going to be very good for my project.

The piano in this one is much better!

...the next purchase will be the world instruments...
    That will also be an excellent addition to your arsenal, Richard. I do think you ended up making the best move, getting the full orchestra of GPO first - Later you can add the more exotic international instruments in World, which will lend themselves well to the type of music you're producing.

Randy

Go Back to forum