• Register
  • Help

Topic: Du Style No. 4 - Trumpet Solo

Share/Bookmark

Du Style No. 4 - Trumpet Solo

This is for all the trumpet aficionados out there. Many years back I studied trumpet with Harry Herforth, principle trumpet for the 1950's Cleveland Orchestra. One of the study books I played from was the Theo Charlier Etudes. I always thought they were trumpet solos. But, after contacting Alphonse Leduc (the French publishing company), I found out that they were just conceived as studies for the trumpet in the French style. I always felt they would make great solos if accompanied. I've taken on the task of composing accompaniments for the 36 etudes in the book (the book that I had purchased for about $10 in 1966 that now cost $75! Ouch!)

Here I present Du Style No. 4. The trumpet part is the study created by Theo Charlier (Belgium trumpet player) and the piano part was my creation. The performers are The GPO Trumpet and the GPO Steinway. Music was produced by Finale. No DAW engineering was done.

You will note at the very end (around 3:00) that the low G on the Bb trumpet does not sound. In essence, it is a Concert F which the trumpet can't play. However this was transposed to Bb trumpet and the pitch becomes the low G which is playable. Since the GPO instrument is a Concert C instrument, it is not recognizing the transposition and thinks it is still the low F - which it is, but GPO doesn't play it as a transposed note. Alas, you will have to imagine that one note that I can play on my Bb trumpet and GPO cannot.

Du Style

Enjoy,

Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Re: Du Style No. 4 - Trumpet Solo

Nice!!Euphoniums play Charlier, too!!
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Bill! As a trumpet player myself, don’t tell too many people I told you that I am a trumpet player LOL, this is absolutely wonderful that you are arranging these exercises, and if you got these published you could actually make some serious money. Just think about all the musicians in middle school, high school, and college who would love to get their hands on these works. Just think about it… seriously.

The piano part sounded great both aurally and compositionally, but GPO’s trumpet solo has always bugged me being difficult to work with. When the music is fast and in the high range the sample works better, but with mid to low range and longer notes the sample starts showing its weakness. It almost sounds like a muted electronic synth trumpet. Have you tried playing with the equalizer settings in Aria for a warmer, darker sound? Just to get a decent sound I go to extremes by adding +12db on the lows, and -12db’s on the highs, and then a touch more reverb for a little more warmth. Anyways that’s just me.

Great job again, my trumpet friend and I would love to hear and see the finished work!
    ~Rodney

Snorlax - Send me your email address and I will send you one of the 1st four of the etudes (that's all I have done now) for you to try. Hope you know a piano player.

Best regards,
    Bill

Rodney, I won't tell if you won't tell ! I do plan to publish. Alphonse Leduc is not interested, so I will publish as a companion to the Charlier studies (no trumpet part, you will have to buy the Charlier Studies). I will publish just the Piano Accompaniments! Maybe they will do better than the two novels I wrote.

Best regards,
    Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Thanks for posting this, Bill - Your new thread in General about the piano accompaniment you developed made me curious to hear what the music sounded like, with both elements - the trumpet and piano. Now I know! Nice stuff, I like it.

And now, after the thread from yesterday, 3/9/13, you know how to get the low F you needed in this. Great!

Thanks again.

Randy

Hi William,

How nice to hear something (be it a study) from a Belgian composer. (We Belgians have obviously produced so many pieces to fatigue most music students, for trumpet, piano, violin...) But I'm glad you recorded this wonderful study so well. I agree however with Rodney that the trumpet is rather thin and lacks overtones; it sounds a little nasal and sharp. Rodney gave some good advice to improve that, but the trumpet remains the weak brother in the GPO library.

And I guess it would sound great on an euphonium too!

Max

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    Hi William,

How nice to hear something (be it a study) from a Belgian composer. (We Belgians have obviously produced so many pieces to fatigue most music students, for trumpet, piano, violin...) But I'm glad you recorded this wonderful study so well. I agree however with Rodney that the trumpet is rather thin and lacks overtones; it sounds a little nasal and sharp. Rodney gave some good advice to improve that, but the trumpet remains the weak brother in the GPO library.

And I guess it would sound great on an euphonium too!

Max
    Thanks Max. Yes, I love the Charlier Etudes. He puts the player through his paces. He challenges the range, dexterity, technique and endurance in each of his studies. Being accomplished on one is a feat in itself, but to be able to play the entire book... I know it improved my abilities tremendously.

My solution for the trumpet sound of the GPO trumpet is to play the part myself! Maybe I will do that for some of these studies. Mind you, just some.

Right now I am looking for accomplished players who would be willing to play these studies with an accompanist and send me feedback on the accompaniment: playability, appropriateness, chord harmonization, etc.

If there is anyone out there interested, I would gladly send one (1) accompaniment free for you to keep in payment for your time and effort.

Max, Thanks for the listen,
    Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Go Back to forum