• Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Topic: BEST Tutorials Ever Contest – Win a free library or even $1,000 cash!

Share/Bookmark

Re: BEST Tutorials Ever Contest

This is a great idea! I am still a very beginner in using GPO and would love to see video tutorials on different aspects of the software. Video learns to much faster and easier than reading a manual. I will for sure make one myself after getting better in using GPO.

Maybe other users can tell here what they need help with, this could inspire the more advanced users to base their tutorials on.

Personally I feel I need help with:
    - How to make a good practical orchestral setup. I did a couple of attempts, and my last one is using 3 different Aria player instances, one for each instrument group (woods, brass, strings). The problem however is that the volume affects the complete instance and I cannot give one instrument within this group a crescendo while another should play a decrescendo. Is there a better way to set this template up?

- How do I use the equalizer settings in the player? What is the effect on the complete score?, when should I not use it?

I am crazy about making tutorials, being a music teacher, so I will start making them when I have something to say! (btw. what kind of software is used to make video tutorals that can do screen capture?)

André
    You can listen to my music on: www.andrevanharen.com

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan View Post
    Every tutorial selected for use on our website will win something ...
    This is such a great idea indeed ... even those who don't enter will win!

Nice to see the maestro working his magic here again ...

Quote Originally Posted by AndreasvanHaren View Post

I am crazy about making tutorials, being a music teacher, so I will start making them when I have something to say! (btw. what kind of software is used to make video tutorals that can do screen capture?)

André

Here are a couple links. I haven't used most of these so you'll have to do some experimenting and these are all for Windows:

http://camstudio.org/ (free)

http://www.debugmode.com/wink/ (free)

http://www.wmrecorder.com/wm_capture...treaming-media (shareware)

There are a number of them really if you do a google search. Also powerpoint might be an option if you have that and are proficient with it.

Steve Winkler

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Jeffrey Gale View Post
    This is such a great idea indeed ... even those who don't enter will win!

Nice to see the maestro working his magic here again ...
    Perfectly said, Peter.

It's a fantastic idea, Gary! I hope a plethora of useful tutorials are generated from this. People need to get cracking- the deadline already looms! And to top it off, the way you've made this a fun contest, Gary, is a perfect example of how fortunate we all are to have you back on board here at the Forum. Everyone has already won!

Where'd you find the Garritan harp smiley, Peter--?!

EDIT: Hovering over the cartoon/smiley of Gary, I see it's from Skype - Nice!--Now to figure out how to use them instead of our unfortunately lameo smileys here at NS. Hummmm.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Where'd you find the Garritan harp smiley ...

It is a special secret smiley built into the forum for Gary by his admiring administrators!

No .. seriously, you can use any smiley from the many free smiley websites just as easily as inserting images on certain threads I'd better not mention ...

That one came from here: http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/get-smiley/1185.html

Just search for a smiley you like and copy the text in the "Forum code" box into your message editing box on the forum, preview the post and the forum software will magically convert it for you!

But I have a feeling I may live to regret letting this "secret" out!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Jeffrey Gale View Post

It is a special secret smiley built into the forum for Gary by his admiring administrators!

No .. seriously, you can use any smiley from the many free smiley websites just as easily as inserting images on certain threads I'd better not mention ...

That one came from here: http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/get-smiley/1185.html

Just search for a smiley you like and copy the text in the "Forum code" box into your message editing box on the forum, preview the post and the forum software will magically convert it for you!

But I have a feeling I may live to regret letting this "secret" out!
    THANKS, Peter - Your reply totally rules, dude!

--What's odd is that when I first clicked on the Harp smiley, it took me to the Skype smileys, and on that page, it looked like you could only insert them when chatting on Skype, no full codes were available. But your info and links go to "EasyFreeSmileys" which includes the Skype collection. Well, cool beans that they make it easy.

OK - Back On Topic:
    Hope folks can roll up their sleeves and help fill this information gap re: tutorials. There's still so much info up on various Garritan pages which relates to the Kontakt Player, some things still up for KP1!---we gotta get up to date.

May inspiration rule the day so that Gary is happily buried under a huge pile o' tutes!

Randy

Do people want to start laying claim to tutorial topics? Would hate to have 20 tutorials submitted on the same topic!

I'm afraid I don't have mush to teach about instrument techniques.

One question I see on the Finale forum all the time is low volume when using Garritan instruments (actually VSTi instruments in general, now that Finale can play more than just Kontakt and Aria, but most of the people complain about Garritan instruments specifically). I would be willing to address how to get an optimal audio signal when using Garritan instruments in Finale.

I also had a problem recently with Garritan instruments not loading correctly in Finale. Turns out there were some incorrect paths in the instrument setup files that Finale uses. At first I thought it was just corruption in my files, but then I found a thread somewhere where another user was reporting problems with the same instruments, so it may be global typos nobody knew about. I found that both the Finale instrument "*.txt" files and some of the Garritan/Aria "*.xml" files needed to be corrected. I learned a lot about how the underlying system works! Anyway, this would be more of an "expert-level" tutorial, but I would be willing to explain how to find the correct paths to the instrument files, and which parts of the files to edit to correct them. Not sure who else but me would be interested in a tutorial like that.

PS - I also learned how to change the instrument name that Finale puts on the staves when using the setup wizard, so that I no longer have to manually correct the spelling of Glass Armonica and Castanets. And I learned how to re-order the instruments in the setup wizard to fit my expectations ("Bass Clarinet" should not come before "Bb Clarinet" just because "Ba" comes before "Bb", etc.). Somebody else might be interested in learning how to do that.
    Best Regards,
    Ernie

I was planning on doing one covering the Garritan instruments in finale, as that's the only Garritan instruments I have as of now.

Quote Originally Posted by lunker View Post
    Do people want to start laying claim to tutorial topics? Would hate to have 20 tutorials submitted on the same topic!

I'm afraid I don't have mush to teach about instrument techniques.

One question I see on the Finale forum all the time is low volume when using Garritan instruments (actually VSTi instruments in general, now that Finale can play more than just Kontakt and Aria, but most of the people complain about Garritan instruments specifically). I would be willing to address how to get an optimal audio signal when using Garritan instruments in Finale.

I also had a problem recently with Garritan instruments not loading correctly in Finale. Turns out there were some incorrect paths in the instrument setup files that Finale uses. At first I thought it was just corruption in my files, but then I found a thread somewhere where another user was reporting problems with the same instruments, so it may be global typos nobody knew about. I found that both the Finale instrument "*.txt" files and some of the Garritan/Aria "*.xml" files needed to be corrected. I learned a lot about how the underlying system works! Anyway, this would be more of an "expert-level" tutorial, but I would be willing to explain how to find the correct paths to the instrument files, and which parts of the files to edit to correct them. Not sure who else but me would be interested in a tutorial like that.

PS - I also learned how to change the instrument name that Finale puts on the staves when using the setup wizard, so that I no longer have to manually correct the spelling of Glass Armonica and Castanets. And I learned how to re-order the instruments in the setup wizard to fit my expectations ("Bass Clarinet" should not come before "Bb Clarinet" just because "Ba" comes before "Bb", etc.). Somebody else might be interested in learning how to do that.
    Hi, Lunker

In general, I don't think it's a good idea for people to start laying exclusive claim to specific topics, because experience shows that not everyone will meet the deadline, and that would leave a gap someone else could have filled. Also, I think it would be best if Gary could choose between tutes that cover the same topic. If the topics were strictly divvied up, we wouldn't necessarily end up with the best tutes possible.

However, your particular Finale problems and solutions are probably something that few others would be qualified to address. HOwever - what you describe sounds to me like issues that should be addressed to the Plogue development team as bugs. You've figured out work-arounds, when the problems you're dealing with seem like problems in the programming that need to be fixed. I don't think work-arounds for existing bugs/issues is the appropriate territory for a tute.

By the way, "Glass Armonica" is correct. Both spellings are accepted, but Gary's team made the choice of using the older term, and that's legit - it's not something that needs to be routinely fixed the way you're currently doing.

Andreas, you said:

"...Personally I feel I need help with:
    - How to make a good practical orchestral setup. I did a couple of attempts, and my last one is using 3 different Aria player instances, one for each instrument group (woods, brass, strings). The problem however is that the volume affects the complete instance and I cannot give one instrument within this group a crescendo while another should play a decrescendo. Is there a better way to set this template up?..."

Well there's something wrong with your template. You haven't given details of how your template is configured, but it's been done incorrectly. Volume shouldn't be global for each instance of Aria. Each instrument's volume can be independently controlled when things are set up correctly. - I think maybe you're using a notation program? These kind of set ups are much easier and straight-forward in a sequencer.

Randy

Once the tutorials start coming in there will be a dedicated Garritan website where the tutorials will be hosted with a rating or voting system or both.

The structure of the site will be determined by the types of tutorials submitted once I get an idea of the categories.

I'll be posting a link to the site here once in place.

Go Back to forum
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast